Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Odd filtration question.

Started by Mettle, August 14, 2007, 08:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

I'm trying to design a filter that will be heavy on flow (gph) and mechanical filtration for my turtles. I was thinking of using a Laguna max-flo pond pump and a diy filtration cannister. The cannister portion is not planned out, as of yet, but I'll be sifting about the net to find something.

Any immediate foreseeable problems with this?

Also any ideas/links for a diy cannister or easy solution.

I'm looking at the max-flo 2000. It will not me accessible to turtles or immediately viewable to the average tank-peerer.

Thanks for any brainstorming help.

fischkopp

i was going to make a DIY canister-style filter too.

My initial idea is to to a 5 gal tank, seperate it with plexiglas (or something cheaper) into let say 5 chambers, with having the water flowing alternating on the bottom or over the top. These chamber can be filled as you like with foam or ceramics. The flux would be from left to right, in the end sits a power head that produces the flow.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

darkdep

I've got a new project for the winter and am also looking at a DIY filter.  I am either going big sump or filters constructed from 5 gallon Home Depot buckets.  Input at the top, output at the bottom through a whackload of bio and mechanical filtration.  Should be very easy to clean.

bitterman

If you do the trickle filter like in this article http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=44 You can put floss in the trickle tray (I do) and it does give decent Mechanicle filtration. That filter is handling about 1000 GPH on my 195 right now. So you don't need a sump you could put the filter above the tank and have the water drian back into the tank.

Bruce.