Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Driftwood question-

Started by woof99, August 17, 2007, 10:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woof99

Hi guys!
I went to Victoria a few weeks ago and brought back a few pieces of driftwood from the beach.  Could I use these in my SW tank?  Should I do anything to them before I do, like boiling?

Thanks

BigDaddy

Driftwood has a tendancy to lower pH unless it is very, very old driftwood.  Usually not a good thing in a SW tank.

washefuzzy

how about fresh water, i too brought a piece back with me when I went out to B.C. this summer?

woof99

Thanks BigDaddy, but I am a bit of a nounoune  ;D  I meant to say in a FW tank, my Goldfish wouldn't like SW too much!!

beowulf

I would check your pH and see what your goldies like and I would also clean it well before adding it to any tank.

sas

Personally I'd be leery about adding an unknown piece of wood to any of my tanks. Too many variables for me, but then I'm a relative noob at this too.
       Questions I'd want answered would be type of wood, how long has it been in the water, whats growing on it and also in it and more importantly being a porous material what has it absorbed during it's stint in the water. Too risky for my needs.Just my thoughts :).

BigDaddy

redbelly brought me back a large piece from Georgian Bay I believe.  I baked it for 30 mins, and it has been in my discus tank ever since.

The big problem with wood from the beech is that it likely wound up there because it didn't get thoroughly waterlogged and sink.  You may be floating it for quite some time before it gets sufficiently waterlogged.  My piece floated for 3 months before it finally became neutrally boyant.

dan2x38

Toss a member here showed me a piece in his tank that he treated maybe send him a PM... it is a nice piece...!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

fischkopp

Quote from: BigDaddy on August 18, 2007, 10:13:20 AM
I baked it for 30 mins, and it has been in my discus tank ever since.

do you mean real baking in the oven at lets say 250°C ? I am just curious as I want to use normal wood in the future too. Don't people mostly boil the wood piece for a couple of hours and/or let it sit in a big water bin for a couple of months so that all maybe existing chemicals can leak out?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

BigDaddy

Quote from: fischkopp on August 18, 2007, 03:10:00 PM
do you mean real baking in the oven at lets say 250°C ? I am just curious as I want to use normal wood in the future too. Don't people mostly boil the wood piece for a couple of hours and/or let it sit in a big water bin for a couple of months so that all maybe existing chemicals can leak out?

Yeah, I actually baked it at 500 degrees.  I didn't have a pot big enough to boil it in, so I figured few if any organisms would survive a 500 degree oven for half an hour.

dan2x38

would the driftwood have a high salt content? if it was aged well would it affect the pH still?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."