Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for more advice

Started by Jeff1192, August 21, 2007, 06:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

Okay so I have been convinced that I will not need an undergravel filter in my new 75 gallon tank. Also, I'm definitely going with a canister filter, now which one to choose. From what I've read the Eheim's are the best ones. I was in Big Al's yesterday and they recommended either the Eheim Pro II or the Eheim Ecco. Any opinions on either of those? Also in terms of a heater do you recommend a submersible or a clip on the side? Also what size of heater would be adequate and would I be safer with one heater or 2 smaller ones?

Thanks again for all your help,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

BigDaddy

The Pro II are nice filters... but if you aren't concerned about bells and whistles, the Classic series are great filters.  I would buy a classic before I bought an Ecco, just because the Classics hold comparatively more media than an Ecco around the same price range.

Pro II's are nice filters... I have two of them.  But they are very pricey.  Unless you look for deals on used models either here or on eBay.

darkdep

For heating, the general sizing rule is 3-5 watts per gallon.  So, for your 75, that means 225-375 watts.  In general, unless you're putting the tank in a very cold location, you should be looking at a 250watt heater for that size tank; it's a common size that many people use for a 75.

Submersible or clip on are your preference.  I use all Eheim Jager heaters and have been very happy with them; even though they do not say you can submerse them, they are fully submersible.

charlie

I  also support the Eheims filters , i have 2 of the pro 2`s , 1 classic & 1 ecco & love them all. The Pro 2 & classics is great for larger tanks, while the  the ecco is great for smaller tanks ( 20-40 gln), on my 75 gln  i run 1 pro2 & 1 classic.
There was a pro2  2028 used up for grabs here, do a search.
I suggest the eheim jager or visi-therm heaters, both i`ve used with fair success.I use a eheim jager 250 watt in my 75 gln.
Regards

Mettle

A lot of people I know like to use two heaters in a single, larger tank. One at each end. It helps to ensure even temperature throughout the tank. Generally these are 6 foot long tanks - but still, the same principle can apply. So you could easily do 150w at each end of a 75 gallon.

Another good tip for regulating temperature evenly throughout a tank is to put the heater near a filter intake. This way the warmer water gets pulled in and dispersed throughout the tank.