Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Will red brick affect the perammiters of my tank?

Started by SaZaBaZy, August 26, 2007, 11:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaZaBaZy

as the title says i am wondering if i can put complete red bricks in my tank.  It was a terrarium b4 and i like the red against the painted blue back ground.  So i am wondering if any one else has done this with negative affects???

Thanks  Jordan

kennyman

I guess bricks are baked clay but I bet there is some lime in there somewhere. Do the vinegar test or use some acid from your nitrate test to see if you get a reaction on your brick. If it fizzes you can bet it will raise your ph. Not really a bad thing unless you need a low ph for some reason.

babblefish1960

To add to what kennyman said, I would be concerned about the additives to the brick for colour, these can have metallic bases often.

kennyman

if those were heavy metals would that make his fish into headbangers  :D

hehe sorry Jordan, it seems I am enjoying my first day off in while a bit too much  :-X

babblefish1960

Silly git, yes I suppose it would, so it would probably be fine for Rift Lake cichlids. ;)

SaZaBaZy

Thank for the replys guys.  I never thought 2 much about what the bricks are made of ceramic is not bad but like you said babble the stuff in the die might not be too good for my little critters.  now i am stuck,  i am gonna test the bricks and see or i might do some more research on what is use in the making of the bricks.  I really wanted to try out this aqua scape i had in mind.  back to the drawing boards.

Still interested if anyone has any other info or has had red brick in any of there tanks for an extended period.

cheers Jordan