Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

how they do that - Fish tank

Started by charlie, August 25, 2007, 07:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

matt

So I just spent like 4 minutes starring at this video in amazement and I still can't figure out how they did it :D. Very Cool!

babblefish1960

Hydraulic lock in a column is understandable, the only thing that throws that out the window at first glance is the aerator that is bubbling away in the column of water.  Very cool Charlie.

mseguin

Yeah I was thinknig the same thing, but the air bubbler would eventually push all the watero ut of the column if it was sealed

RedFish

That is beautiful!   That's my next tank!!!!    He has quite a few videos of similar tanks, it would be interesting to know how old each setup is, what he has to do about algae.....

beowulf

Very interesting, it would be cool if he should how it is set up!!

Laura

As Redfish mentioned, there's a few postings of diff tanks by the same person.  One has discus, another parrotfish, another a whole bunch of stuff from tricolour sharks (and I think a mono?) and the one you posted.
I suspect s/he's a vendor and these are shots from different homes - I can't believe that all 4 tanks are in the same home (although from one shot it looks like 2 of them may be side by side).  That would be a lot of evaporation.
Doesn't explain how it's done, just an observation - I agree they're beautiful show tanks, although limiting from an aquascaping persepective.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

plecoL83

very cool, although as someone mentioned above eventually that air stone would empty out all the water... hmmm I wonder..........

dan2x38

So is the water pushed into the column or sucked in... basically... WHAT?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

yeah...I have no clue how this works!

darkdep

The physics behind getting the water INTO the column are simple, and believe it or not we all learned about it while very young. 

Fill the sink or tub, submerge a glass, turn it upside down and pull it out of the water.  Unless the "top" of the glass actually breaks the water's surface, the water will stay in the glass, well above "water level".

The bubbler is a problem tho. Again, you can duplicate the effect by putting an airtube into the glass and blowing...the air displaces the water.

You can also SUCK out the air to bring the water level higher.

Only thing I can think of is, since he's blowing air in, he must have something at the top to suck the air out...

AdamR

The air things confused me too.  I was speaking to Redbelly about this, he thought the air could just be circulating inside the column.

There could be an air pump inside the tank at the top, which we don't see in the video.

dan2x38

could he not use a pump to remove the air and pump water to his little water fall at the same time? 2 birds with 1 stone
Voltaire:

darkdep

Air pumps have an intake...there COULD be an air pump inside with the intake at the top and an airtube for the output down lower.

dan2x38

Quote from: DarkDep on August 25, 2007, 05:30:26 PM
Air pumps have an intake...there COULD be an air pump inside with the intake at the top and an airtube for the output down lower.

the air just cycles round & round...
Voltaire:

darkdep

I notice when he feeds that air bubbles are added.

Now that I think about it more, he MUST have an air pump in there.  If the added air bubbles put an air pocket at the top, he could turn a valve and instead of blowing down to the decoration it blows out a hole at the top.  This would bring the water level back up.

dan2x38

Quote from: DarkDep on August 25, 2007, 05:35:16 PM
I notice when he feeds that air bubbles are added.

Now that I think about it more, he MUST have an air pump in there.  If the added air bubbles put an air pocket at the top, he could turn a valve and instead of blowing down to the decoration it blows out a hole at the top.  This would bring the water level back up.

of course and that would make it very stable... so air, bubbles no issue
Voltaire: