Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bottom Feeder for Small Tanks?

Started by dan2x38, August 25, 2007, 10:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

My son is populating a 10 g. Hopefully keep it unheated, room temp 70-72. He likes the Mountain Minnows so far. Can Cories be safely kept in a 10g at 70-72f?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

babblefish1960

There are few corydoras that can be kept that cold, in fact, there are few tropical fish of any kind that suffer that cool of temperature on a regular basis and thrive.

Corydoras incolicana is a cooler water species, but no lower than 75 degrees fahrenheit.

Quite honestly, a 50 watt heater is cheap, especially used, and it opens a lot more doors as to what you can keep in there.

dan2x38

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 25, 2007, 10:47:22 PM
There are few corydoras that can be kept that cold, in fact, there are few tropical fish of any kind that suffer that cool of temperature on a regular basis and thrive.

Corydoras incolicana is a cooler water species, but no lower than 75 degrees fahrenheit.

Quite honestly, a 50 watt heater is cheap, especially used, and it opens a lot more doors as to what you can keep in there.

He is very adamant about figuring it out for himself doing all the setting up including all the decisions. He wants to add some Java fern & other hardy tough plants. He knows a lot; surprises me... He is always checking to see if he has replies to his posts... :) With that said...

I have a small heater... what could you suggest for a 10g & bottom feeders... no neon tetras they die to easily... he cried for 2 days when his Betta died...  :(
Voltaire:

babblefish1960

Quote from: zapisto on August 25, 2007, 11:47:51 PM
amano shrimp :)
Those are a most excellent suggestion, they are definitely a terrific critter to watch for hours, they lead busy lives and are pretty tough.

newfish

Quote from: zapisto on August 25, 2007, 11:47:51 PM
amano shrimp :)
Where can you find these guys in Ottawa? I don't this I've seen them at Big Al's.

MikeM

BA Innes should have some.  I got some there about a week ago, there was a whole tank full of amanos.

babblefish1960

I have seen them at both Big Al's locations this week, but for a really good price, you may wish to check out one of our sponsors, Aquanourriplus, they have good quality specimens as well, and shipping is pretty simple.

kennyman

If he doesn't like shrimp, the leopard/Julie corry is one of the smallest corries and actually likes cooler temperatures for breeding. I kept them in a 10 gal tank that I had set up folowing recommended procedures from a book written in 1930. It was my "Victorian Project" and apart from an air pump it had no other equipment. They did not have aquarium heaters back then right Babble ;)

It got pretty chilly sitting in a windowsill overwinter and all three corries (only fish in the tank) survived, although it wasn't the nicest thing I have ever done to them. Two of them are still alive today in my 55 which is set at 72-74 during the winter.

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

http://fish.mongabay.com/corydoradinae.htm

babblefish1960

Good point kennyman, I recall only too well the inaugural copies of that book, suffice it to say that the air pumps were linear pistons with leather seals and quite noisy. But yes, you can keep some corydoras such as the julii at below normal tropical temperatures if one must.

succinctfish

panda corydoras are also a nice small cory if you are making use of that heater. Heating the tank will open a whole world of fishy possibilities. Pandas are super cute.  Just remember that a single cory is a sad fish, so you need more than one so it has friends. 

dan2x38

Kennyman- I have 2 cories in 1 tank that I thought were Juliis but just learned they are in fact, 'Corydoras trilineatus'; he does like cories

Babblefish- the amano shrimp/ghost shrimp are they very visible in a tank?

succinctfish- the pandas get 2" how many could he have? with 5-7 Mountain Minows would 2-3 pandas be to much Bio-load? they would be cute for him...  :)
Voltaire:

BigDaddy

dan.. just a correction/clarification

Amano shrimp and ghost shrimp are two completely seperate species.  Not sure if you were listing them as the same or just listing them with a / between.

Anyways, depending on the size of the tank and the amount of cover, amanos aren't "shy" by any stroke and will be out and about at all hours.

kennyman

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 26, 2007, 11:52:52 AM
Kennyman- I have 2 cories in 1 tank that I thought were Juliis but just learned they are in fact, 'Corydoras trilineatus'; he does like cories

Julies, leopards, three-lined; Its all the same in my books as the similarity of appearance, purity of source, proper lfs id and doubt of any actual difference between species is more than enough to keep me from believing I can differentiate  :P

dan2x38

The Amano shrimp would not be that colourful to be displayed? What about Crystal red shrimp? I have lots of Cherry shrimp but he wants a different tank from mine... LOL  :)

Other note he looked at the Pandas and said he did not like them... I'm surprised!
Voltaire:

babblefish1960

Crystal red shrimp would be expensive and very delicate, the japonica shrimp are very industrious.

Pity about the panda corydoras, they are a small cute thing that travel well with a school, and they do school, they are an endearing personality that seems to be as fun loving as otters, we always enjoyed their antics.

dan2x38

I may have just sold him on the Pandas I like them but he just read your post and he was sold... I did not tell him I liked them though... LOL  :-[

Would 3 or 4 Pandas be to much of a bio-load with 5-7 Mountain Minnows? Could he still add shrimp? Hard setting up a small tank vrs a larger one...  :o
Voltaire:

babblefish1960

Those numbers would be fine, I am positive he will love the pandas, they are adorable.  And the amano shrimp will be very different from the cherry shrimp.