Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How much ammonia

Started by Jeff1192, August 27, 2007, 12:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

Ok so I found the ammonia at Home Hardware. Thanks again to all those who offered suggestions. Now I'm just wondering how much I should put in and how often. I have the filter running in a rubbermaid container with about 65-70 gallons of water.

Thanks again,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

BigDaddy

Use an ammonia test kit and add enough to put about 1ppm of ammonia in play.  Adding 1ppm of ammonia daily is probably more than enough to maintain the bacters in your Eheim.

dan2x38

Someone on this forum said to add a piece of shrimp.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

BigDaddy

A cocktail shrimp will slowly decay and break down into ammonia.  Since you have already purchased your ammonia, though, you do not need to do this.

You will really have to play with your ammonia test kit, as every product uses a differing amount of ammonia in it.  Most are around 3% ammonia.  So, you are already starting off with a diluted solution, and you will be diluting it further in your 70 gallon rubbermaid.

Try a tablespoon to start... wait a bit for it to circulate, and then do your test.  Adjust from there.  If you dose too high, you can always do a waterchange to get rid of some of it.

dan2x38

I was doing that little test about the filter bacteria. I was adding about 20 drops approx. 1/4 tsp. to 6 gal. In 6 hrs. NH3 was back to zero. Does that help?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."