Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Power outage

Started by fishycanuck, August 30, 2007, 12:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishycanuck

I am wondering what I need to do (if anything) in the event of a power outage during the milder weather. I think it has already been discussed in another post wrt generators and battery-powered heaters in case the power goes out in the winter. I don't think my tank heaters have come on in the last three months, but what about filtration? I unplugged my filters last night as sometimes they lose their prime and I didn't want an empty filter chugging away in the wee hours.
How long can a tank remain healthy without filtration? I suppose that depends on the population and if there are plants included... but does anyone have a rule of thumb? During a prolonged outage, would it be enough to replace some water daily?

BigDaddy

Insulating the tank with heavy blankets is a good idea.  Running a battery-powered air pump with an airstone will provide aeration and some circulation.  Without the battery pump, taking a pitcher and filling and emptying it with tank water in a waterfall method for a few minutes per hour will also provide some aeration.

As far as how long... yeah there are a million other variables at play.  I wouldn't even want to try to guesstimate.