Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fishy school program......

Started by gonna_b_no_1, August 10, 2007, 06:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonna_b_no_1

With a new school year approaching, I've been gearing up to start up my "fishy adoption" program with my kids school.

Each year I'll offer an aquarium to all the classrooms and provide a complete set up (either a 5g or 10g) with fish (whatever I happen to have at home) 

The kids in the classes research what type of fish....location..what they eat...and they absolutely adore doing it!  I'll go in once every month or 2 and switch out the fish and give them a new species to research.

The first year I only had 2 classrooms that had tanks, last year I had 6 classrooms, this year, I'm hoping to have a few more....

The students actually host bake sales and stuff like that to earn the money to buy foods, filter stuff...and whatever their tank will need over the year.  They  do the waterchanges once a week, clean the tank and generally do an awesome job of taking care of the tanks (i go in and check tanks often)

Types of fish I've brought in so far:

male or female betas
guppie males
older classrooms can have a breeding trio of guppies
platies
variety of different tetras
khuli loaches
african dwarf frogs
melanochromis johanni fry
shrimps of different varieties

Younger classrooms (kindergarden-2) usually get really simple stuff like a beta in a 3g hex tank where the Special Needs classroom last year successfully bred and raised one batch of guppies ;D

Once I hear back from the school (first week or 2 of september) I'll know exactly how many tanks I'll need and if I don't have enough, I'm wondering if OVAS members could help out.  The tanks are returned to me at the end of the year  (and anyone who donates the use of a small tank), and all the fish at the school are offered to the students to bring home (this year, i had a healthy adoption rate!)

So, what do you think????

fishycanuck

Very noble, Francine! School fish tanks are often unsuccessful - who will mind the fish during holidays, who's going to make sure no one overfeeds them... that you have done so well is remarkable!
I managed a tank in my daughter's kindergarten class. It went well until the school board turned the heat wayyyyy down over a long weekend.
Frosty fish!
I could pitch in when you get the tanks set up.

gonna_b_no_1

During the weekends the tanks get feeder blocks (students pay for these themselves), but for holidays such as march break or xmas holidays, I usually bring the fish home to live in a few buckets that have airstones until i can take em back to the school once holidays are over. 

Generally, I do go into each classroom at least once a week.  I do some volunteering at the school, or, if one of my boys is in trouble (boys will be boys ;) ) so I'm there often enough to help with the care of the tanks.

The kids love it, the teachers milk it (gotta be quiet in the classroom if you wanna keep the fish ;) )

Heaters are one thing I've had a hard time supplying (i've only got 2 in my house of 15 tanks) but generally the tanks end up near a heat source on a windowsill. 

I go in on the first few weeks and give a "rules, care and share" speech for the students whos  teachers do adopt a tank.  :) 

Saltcreep

What a fantastic idea. Has to be one of the 'nicest' things I've heard in a while. Way to go. Hope others pick up the idea.

washefuzzy

Way to go Francine. :)  I don't know where you get all the energy to do all you do but I thinks it's such a great program you provide. :) :)

gonna_b_no_1

Well, first day of school today and I've already been asked by 3 teachers for a tank.  YAY!  I'll probably end up with a few more requests, but once I have the final total of tanks needed I might need some people to donate a tank :)

I'm going to wait until the 3rd or 4th week of school to bring in any tanks.  Let the classes settle down a little bit. 

ONCE I know how many tanks I"ll need, I'll be putting in an official request for donated 3g, 5g and 10g tanks for the kids, filters, gravel, heaters..whatever to get them a tank up and running. 

Also, if anyone has any time or fishies they'd like to donate to the tanks (at mid to end of sept) Please,  keep in mind the sizes of tanks. 

I'm so happy that this is now in it's 3rd year!

Mettle

That's an awesome little program you're running. Kudos!

babblefish1960

Sounds like a good program for proselytizing the world of fishkeeping to the young, aquariums were often a part of school way back when.

I am moving this thread to freshwater discussions for two reasons, firstly, it belongs there, and secondly, you may get some responses from those that haven't access to the lounge.

Fishnut

The Kribensis you sold me are doing well.  Actually one of them is doing well and the other is always hiding in the plants.  They're both male and one is very dominant over the other.  He's healthy and should do well in a 10 gallon tank away from the aggressor.

BigDaddy

Since this is my kids school too... you'll be further indoctrinating my children in the ways of fish keeping.  You know you need to, its not like they get that kind of instruction at home  ;)

gonna_b_no_1

hahahahaa

Does that mean you'll handle the odd waterchange too?    :P :o

OrchidNow

You should try the fish stores that you go to. They might be willing to "donate" some tanks. It'll be free advertizing for them - with a label on the tank or something. Or something. Doesn't hurt to ask.