Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hair algae

Started by KLKelly, August 31, 2007, 03:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

<insert beating a dead horse icon here>

I moved my ten gallon blue eye tank upstairs.  2 crypts survived the others melted.  I now know this is because they don't like change.  The tank is now in the living room where the sun is having an effect.  Used to be in the recroom with very little natural light.

I have serious hair algae problem now and its taken over all the najas grass and javamoss that a member donated.  And the duckweed sticks to it too.  I'm worried it will trap one of the fish.

It is an extremely low bioload tank - 2 tiny p. gertrudae rainbows and 2 tiny stiphodon gobies 1". 
The tank gets sunlight and I have two 13 watt curly bulbs in the canopy. 
I have a big crypt type plant (long thin ripley leaves), java moss, najas grass and would consider it heavily planted.

Would putting a garbage bag on three sides help at all?  Would removing plants help?  I am not into CO2.  I have the hagen system but it was never consistent on the fishless 20 gallon I had it on.  It would have killed all of the fish multiple times.

Thanks.

Karrie