Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sterbai Cories, Zebra Loach, and Cichlids?

Started by RossW, August 30, 2007, 09:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

Does anyone know how Sterbai Cories and Zebra Loach's would do in a cichlid tank?  Would it make a difference if the tank was primarily Malawian or Tanganyikan?  Which ever it is, the fish will all be as non-agressive as these species get ;-)

Laura

Not a great idea.  They really like different water parameters to start with.  Here's an article on the combo.  It's written by a very knowledgeable loach keeper/fish shop owner in England.

http://www.loaches.com/articles/why-loaches-should-not-be-kept-with-malawi-cichlids
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

DavidJohnson

There are 2 issues to be concerned with.  The first is agressiveness.  Both cories and zebra loaches are non-agressive and neither get very big.  They can't defend themselves against agressive fish and wouldn't do well in a tank with them.  The second issue is water conditions.  African cichlids generally perfer hard water while loaches and cories generally prefer soft water.  For these reasons I wouldn't reccomend mixing zebra loaches or cories with african cichlids.

dan2x38

Ross I think you already gave up a good choice the Spotted Raphael Catfish. Any spiney catfish or cory can defend against attack just with their fins... I think any chiclid would not go back a 2nd time... LOL
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Laura

What about an african catfish like an upside down http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/african-catfish/upsidedown-catfish/100059.asp or cuckoo catfish?
I would guess that they can handle the water parameters better than a south american cat.  You may want to ask the folks in the african forum what kind of cats they keep too.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

RossW

I am not concerned about water parameters, only agression.  All of my fish live in the same water parameters.  I do not buffer or alter them for any of my tanks.

I love the activitivity of the Cories and Loaches which I have.  The Spotted Catfish hid 99% of the time and I like to see what is in my tank.  I am selfish that way  ;)

Thanx for the links.  I will read them as time permits this AM.

beowulf

I would never mix cories and loaches with Malawi or tangs.  The water they need to not only survive but thrive in is totally different.  Also as mentioned the aggresivness of these fish are totally different and they will not be able to defend themselves from the africans, ask Audioslave how much trouble he had with trying to introduce plecos to his malawi tanks.

Armored plecos and certain catfish are the most popular wau to add fish to an African tank.  Another option is rainbow fish.  They can adapt to the water, and are fast and mine stay out of the way of my Malawis'.

RossW

What to do...

I am trying to decide what to do with my 75g tank.  I could transfer the contents of my 10g to it and significantly increase the number of non-cichlid fish, or I could make it a cichlid tank and find a home for the fish in my 10g.

I want to make the 75g a Tanganyikan tank but this means that I lose my loaches and cories who are cool.

babblefish1960

Sterbai with rift lake cichlids, just say no, sterbai are special and a little delicate, they will not shine with those marauders and at the very least be harried to death or lose their eyes. A sad end for such a darling corydoras.

Sounds to me like you need two tanks at least, when you have fish you really like from such divergent requirements, well...that is how we all started I suppose, on the way to the fishroom. ;)

dan2x38

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 31, 2007, 08:56:38 AM
Sounds to me like you need two tanks at least, when you have fish you really like from such divergent requirements, well...that is how we all started I suppose, on the way to the fishroom. ;)

Sounds like someone is being set-up for another case of MTS... LOL  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

RoxyDog

guess there is a bit of "opinion" involved here.  ;)

if you're trying to replicate the natural parameters of either your africans OR or loaches, then they don't mix for sure.  if, like me, you're pretty much in the middle area, with no real water chemistry changes, then it's not as big a deal.

I keep small kubotai loches with my mbuna, and they are happy as can be (or seem to be).  I make sure the flake and pellet food is a bit varied for everyone, but not too much of either meat or vegetable ALL the time.

the loaches are all living happily and I have never seen one be chased, in fact the kubotais hang out in the open on the rocks as calm as can be, or swim around the tank exploring until feeding time, @ which time they hold their own.  :)

so, without hugely aggressive fish, I'd say go ahead with the loaches, but still a no for cories.  but even then, there's no promises. 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

audioslave_36

I am Like Roxy, I have loaches in tanks where they shouldn't  be and they are doing fine, but the corries really wouldn't survive, I have some syno's  you can look at when you are here on the weekend, if you like any you can have them because I have about 8 too many right now.

Dave

DavidJohnson

Most fish seem to be very adaptable and this is probably more true for captive raised fish as opposed to wild caught ones and certainly if a fish has grown up in a particular water condition they will adapt to it.  Drastic changes in water conditions is probably worse than just non-ideal water conditions.  So it is somewhat a personal preference though for me I like the challenge of trying too create a particular environment for my fish.