Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

90G stock suggestions?

Started by Brine, August 21, 2007, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brine

Just thought I'd start a thread about possible stocking for my new 90G.

I am going to do a planted tank and I would rather have a large number of smaller fish than a small number of larger fish. I've been thinking of a very large school of tetras and a few bottom feeders, maybe a few African dwarf frogs or something like that.

Or perhaps a colony of some of the smaller Africans.

On the other hand a brackish tank with a green spotted puffer or three and some compatible tank mates appeals to me as well. I had a puffer in a 55G before and he had the most amazing personality.

Not ready to do the Salt Water thing yet so please keep suggestions in the fresh/brackish categories for now.

Here is where you get to toss in your ideas/suggestions. I won't be stocking the tank until late September at the earliest so there is lots of time to discuss the merits (or lack of) for many variations.

I am hoping to have the tank ready to accept stock by the September OVAS auction just in case there is something I have to have on offer there.

I can't wait to hear your suggestions and comments.

DavidJohnson

How about a school of 25-30 Cardinal Tetras and a school of 15 cories of some sort and maybe a pleco or two.

beowulf

A nice mix of rummy noses (15-20 easy) as they school really well, some dwarf cichilds of your choosing like rams or apitos of some sort, a few fancy plecos and some corries on the bottom would make a nice mix.  You could also add some snails and shrimp.

sas

I agree with beowulf with regards to the rummy nose tetras. I bought a tank from a member on here and it has a school of these guys and they are really nice, schooling very tightly. Actually debating adding to the school I like them so much :D. I also have a school of cardinals in another tank which are nice also but they can be delicate at the start when introducing them.
      A few different pleco, and oh harlequin rasboros are nice for the top portion of the tank?hth

Jesse

I say a nice school of flameback bleeding-heart tetras! Not too big, not too small, and very eye-appealing.

fischkopp

Definitively some dwarf cichlids! In a 90gal you can keep several pairs/groups (1m, 2-3f) of them, either one species or 2-3 different ones. They are really fun to watch and will be very happy in a planted tank. You will find tetras boring after a while ...  ;)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Mettle

From what you're saying here you're looking for a tranquil, luscious tank with some eye catching fish that you can quietly observe and will do their own thing... I would focus a lot on the plants to start with. Make sure you have the right lighting, the right substrate, etc. and stock up on ferts (doing the proper research to go along with it) and start thinking about CO2. After all this, then you can look to fish.

I am a huge fan of combining two different schools of tetras. The key with this, however, is to get one that is a little more 'dull' than the other. This way one catches your eye while the other keeps your interest. The combo of cardinals and rummynose tetras is definitely a good one. These guys can also attain a half decent size as well so they'll be easily visible.

I would also definitely suggest a good cleaning crew. Pick out a really nice type of cory and drop a bunch of those in. I'm personally a fan of sterbais but they can get a bit pricey in the end. And a fancy pleco or two could also make for some interesting spottings here and there when you catch glimpses of them.

I would also take the suggest of adding in some dwarf cichlids. Two of my personal favourites are the triple red apisto. cacatuoides and German blue rams. It might be interesting to keep a really gorgeous specimen of a male apisto with three or so females so he can have a little harem and it'll also add a little something else to the tank over all.

As for going brackish... You'll have troubles finding plants to do this with and you'll have to resort to fake ones, probably. As well, your idea of a green spotted puffer isn't the best as they do eventually need salt water when they get older. The only exclusively brackish puffer that exists is a figure 8. The others will eventually move out to salt water conditions as they get older.

If you do go with figure 8 puffers you could likely keep a variety of other fish with them. I know someone who had figure 8s with mollies, guppies and gobies. The mollies were actually the ones who caused the most problems in the tank as an especially aggressive female used to beat up on the puffers.

Good luck and keep us posted on your plans!   :)

Brine

here it is set up and running...not such a good shot...I'll try to get a better one soon
I put 7 scissor tailed Rasboras in and my four clown loaches and one rainbow shark. I need someone to clean up algea...a dwarf pleco I think and a couple of schools of tetras or the like (more Rasboras perhaps)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Laura

I love the roots coming into the water!
Busdriver on the forum has bristlenose plecos for sale. 
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

babblefish1960

That looks very nice Brine, there is so much going on in there that would suit so many species of fish, I really like the roots as well. The best of luck with deciding on which fish to put in there, I am sure you will make an interesting decision. I have a feeling that you would really enjoy a nice fleet of corydoras, and they aren't very heavy as far as bio load go.  Have you considered some of the smaller pencil fish?  They are terrific little fish that are fascinating to watch and very active in the tank.

fischkopp

I must agree with everyone: it is a very nice setup, i really like the rock constellation and of course the wood/root! This will look terrific as soon as some plants will take over and the root is covers with moos.

Can I ask where you got this nice wood-piece?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Brine

the wood is a combination...
the "roots" are actually ..........

roots from a curly willow. I found them behind a flower shop in the glebe. I am sure if I had had to pay for them I would not have got them. They are a bit worriesome since they have been leaching something into the tank. So far it has had no effect on anything. The rest of the wood in that corner is 3 pieces of mopani that I bought off this website ( they were siliconed together but I took them apart)

The rocks I handpicked from along the Speed river in Cambridge Ontario. Then scrubbed, boiled, bleached and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and ....

I have since added about 7 Harlequin Rasboras