Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Malaysian Trumpet Snail Reccomendation

Started by RossW, August 04, 2007, 12:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

I have heard some here discuss the benefits of Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but would you reccomend them in an African Cichlid tank?

Thanx,
Ross

RossW

Thanx for the response and thanx to Aquafish for providing me with tons of these guys this morning!

I shall start setting them free this aft into my soon to be African tank.

babblefish1960

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 04, 2007, 09:50:07 PM
May I suggest QT? I just broke my rule and am paying the price...  :( :o :-[
Quiet time?

PoisonJello

well my africans ate all the MTS i put in the tank but they seem to eat just about anything i put in the tank even bite me when i put my arm in there
I still have some MTS in my 10g still hopefully they will breed soon so i will have more

audioslave_36

Quote from: PoisonJello on August 04, 2007, 10:59:21 PM
well my africans ate all the MTS i put in the tank but they seem to eat just about anything i put in the tank even bite me when i put my arm in there

Mine must be related to yours :)

groan

my ex-fish, now Beowulf's, love MTS. i was unable to keep a colny going in that tank. now with the Tangs i am hoping i will be able to keep them going, at least until i get calvus in there...then im sure the MTS colony will lessen.

darkdep

Many Africans will eat MTS.  That's part of the benefit; free snacks!

It's best to seed the tank with a good bunch, but instead of just dropping them in the tank, put them with a closed hand down into the gravel, and cover them up. 

They will spread out and help keep the gravel clean and stirred up.  They will occasionally come up above the surface and may get eaten; then you'll get a cool growing addition of snail shells on your substrate which probably help with kH anyway :)

audioslave_36

not to thread jack, but will MTS snails be any help in a sand bottom tank ?

Ross are your Africans eating them ?

Dave

darkdep

Yes, MTS will do just as well in a sand bottomed tank.

audioslave_36

Quote from: DarkDep on August 13, 2007, 10:10:09 AM
Yes, MTS will do just as well in a sand bottomed tank.

Cool, now I'm on a quest for MTS snails :) .

RossW

I think my yellow labs have eaten some of the snails... I keep meaning to sneak a peak in the tank after the lights have been off for an hour to see if they are still around.  I did notice one shell on the bottom which makes me think the labs are snacking on them.

audioslave_36

LOL, well one shell is not so bad, in my 135g(which I am moving all the fish into the 220g) my clown loaches have as many pond snail shell on the bottom of the tank as I do rocks  :o .  now I know why I have so many pond snails hiding in my filters  ;)

Dave

groan

Quote from: audioslave_36 on August 13, 2007, 10:16:28 AM
Cool, now I'm on a quest for MTS snails :) .

I may be able to hook you up with a few tonight :)

sniggir

I never had any problem's  with my tank and MTS I love them they do a great job of cleaning the substrate.. I started with 30 and when I tore down the 160 i had probly atleast 700!!!! great snails would recomend them to anyone
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

dan2x38

Are dwarf puffers able to eat MTS since they have a tougher shell?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."