Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Breeding amano shrimp

Started by MikeM, September 04, 2007, 11:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeM

I noticed one of my amanos is holding eggs.  From what I've read the newly hatched shrimp need brackish or saltwater conditions to survive.  I've got a 10 gal I'd like to try this out in.  Is there any one else in the area who's bred these guys?  I'm planning on moving the shrimp holding the eggs over to the 10, and let her drop her eggs there, then slowly increase the salinity while the shrimp grow out.  The information out there is a little vague, and much of it conflicting.  Some people say they've bred successfully in freshwater, but the majority opinion seems to be brackish or better.

beowulf

Contact Zapisto he should be able to help you.  You might also want to do a search on this topic here in the forums as I believe the question has come up a few times in the past.

zapisto

i breed amano and first of all breeding this little guy is not just a try
it is about 40 days of labor.

i can send you a protocol who work well for me.

kennyman

Let us know how it goes mike. I had mine in a brackish tank for a few years and they never laid eggs. I moved them to a FW community and there has been a steady stream of eggs ever since. The research I did led me to the same idea as you mentioned.

Move the ripe female to a 10 with a bubbler to let her drop the larva.
Pull the female and up the salinity to 1.020
Grow them out for a while with reef-riods or something.
Acclimate them back to FW over time

I have everything to try it myself except the time. Keep us posted if you take the plunge.  :P

MikeM

I was surprised when I saw she was holding eggs in the bare bottom QT.  I thought it would make an interesting challenge, and a great excuse to play with some salt ;)  40 days of hard labour sounds a little scary, but fall is coming, and it seems like I'm always doing something with the tanks anyways.  Zapisto, if you could share your protocol, I'd really appreciate it.  Another question I searched around for but didn't find a definitive answer on:  if she's holding the eggs, does that mean they are fertile?  I'm pretty sure I saw one of the smaller shrimps crawling around her before I noticed the eggs.

Anyways, it was the first time I'd seen eggs from anything since I'd started my tanks, so I was a little excited.  Of course it had to be a difficult species, but they're just so industrious and fun to watch.  Thanks for the advice everyone, at least I know what I'm getting into now.

BigDaddy

zap, did I remember reading this right?  Do amano need to be raised in brackish?

zapisto

Quote from: MikeM on September 05, 2007, 08:30:24 PM
I was surprised when I saw she was holding eggs in the bare bottom QT.  I thought it would make an interesting challenge, and a great excuse to play with some salt ;)  40 days of hard labour sounds a little scary, but fall is coming, and it seems like I'm always doing something with the tanks anyways.  Zapisto, if you could share your protocol, I'd really appreciate it. 
Send me you email by PM, i did not receive the autorisation to distribute in english  so i have to do it privately.
i only receive autorisation distribute my french translation.

Another question I searched around for but didn't find a definitive answer on:  if she's holding the eggs, does that mean they are fertile?

she will drop egg after 2 or 3 day ifthey are not fertile.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the smaller shrimps crawling around her before I noticed the eggs.
believe me when you will see a mate you will know :)
they are copuling like human :)

zapisto

Quote from: BigDaddy on September 05, 2007, 09:27:00 PM
zap, did I remember reading this right?  Do amano need to be raised in brackish?
shrimp no , but larva must be raised in brackish water