Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How to catch cherry shrimps?

Started by LittleAngel104, September 04, 2007, 05:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleAngel104

Hello all!

I bought a dozen cherry shrimps last spring and put them in a 33g community tank.  I guess they enjoy their new home caus' now,  there must be a least 300 of them!!!!   I am planning on giving them their own tank in a short period of time.  There is only one problem....  How the hell do I catch them all????????????? I realise that catching them all might be impossible but,  what should I do to transfer them to a new tank?  Is there a trick to catching Cherry Shrimps?  Is there a device I could use to help out?  Thanks in advance for the advice,

Melissa

fishycanuck

"slurp" them into a plastic bottle by pushing it underwater next to them?
Use a net?

Zoe

They're really easy to catch using a net... you might have to remove plants or ornaments to get at the bulk of them, but you should be able to catch them with a net.  Otherwise, try sinking a pop bottle and putting some food inside it.

dan2x38

I had to catch a bunch from a small tank. I did remove a lot of stuff. They are fairly easy to catch. Use a flashlight and look for them at night too.

Actually if you want to part with 10 or 20 let me know & how much. I have some but don't want to catch them... LOL My son is rebuilding a little tank.

I always thought a small bottle with some food in it but not so big your fish get in it. Put a plastic cap on the bottle and cut a slot for the shrimp to fit into.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

zapisto

believe me or not if you want catch them all forget that.

i had about 600 in a 3.5g and i want to give them a new home , so i take a net who is large like the tank and start at one side and go to the other side and catch about 90%
then i empty the tank by passing the water in a net.
i was thinking i catch all of them

i fill the tank and was ready for a new species.
well 5 days after i spot about 20 shrimp in the damn tank  :D

LittleAngel104

I'm sure I'll have trouble finding all the very small ones!  I spotted some that are so small I could barely see them...   I guess I'll have to work at it for a little while to get as much of them as possible. Thanks for the advice!