Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

lights

Started by NjOyRiD, January 05, 2005, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

how much watts should i use for a planted 25 gal tank or what kind of light...?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

BigDaddy

Depends on what kind of plants you want to keep and how much you are prepared to spend.  Also depends on if you are comfortable building your own lighting, or if you would rather buy a commercial product.

A general rule is called the "watts per gallon" rule.

Low light plants need 1.5 WPG or less to grow
Medium light plants need 2.5 WPG or more to grow
High light plants need 4 WPG or more to grow.

If you've never planted a tank before, I would suggest you start with low light plants.  The lighting is cheaper, the plants can tolerate more abuse, and you won't be spending money on fertilizers and/or carbon dioxide.

NjOyRiD

Hairgrass
Amazon Swordplant
Dwarf swordplant
congo Anubias
Water Wisteria
Twisted Vallis
Java Fern

these are the plants I wanted to put...in my 25g...
how do you know that the plant need lets say 2.5 WPG..
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Aiglos

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html

This link was posted a little while ago,  on a good DIY system for CO2.  I setup a similer setup for maybe 6$.  Highly recommended.

BigDaddy

Most amazon swords will get too big for a 25 gallon.  I don't recommend it.

I moderate on a forum on http://www.plantgeek.net

There is a plant guide that is pretty extensive and shows their difficulty level, aquascape placement and lighting required (to name a few).  You should check it out.

The plants in your list are low to medium light plants.  You can reasonably grow these plants in approx. 2 WPG of light.  25 gallon tanks are tall, so you want something with a good reflector to ensure as much light as possible reaches the bottom of the tank.

NjOyRiD

thanx for your help!
370g System

Aiglos

To awnser your second question.  

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=802

this is an example for the amazon sword that you said,  pretty much any site you go to looking up these plants will tell you exactly how to grow them, and properly.

http://www.liveaquaria.com  - Excellent site, its for purchesing, but I use it for info whenever I am looking something up.

NjOyRiD

liveaquaria..they dont have any probs at the costums?
370g System

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Aiglos"http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html

This link was posted a little while ago,  on a good DIY system for CO2.  I setup a similer setup for maybe 6$.  Highly recommended.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

I've always considered that link as the end-all be-all article for DIY CO2 injection.

Unfortunately, it looks like it is down right now.

NjOyRiD

i wont need a co2 injector for my 25g right?
370g System

BigDaddy

As long as you do not go high light, no.

Your plants will benefit from injected CO2... but it isn't NEEDED unless you have very high light levels.

NjOyRiD

high light levels you means the plants that needs high light?
370g System

Eirikre

If you put much more than about 60W (ie. 100w or more) over your 25g tank your plants will need the added CO2 in order to take advantage of the light available, if not algae will be quick to step in and take advantage of the extra light and take over your tank, quickly.

NjOyRiD

ok ok i understand! thats interesting!

so if one day that its full of algea...it means i need some co2 because my light is too strong for the plants in the tank..?
370g System

BigDaddy

No.

You can have low light and still have algae.

I'd suggest you do some reading on planted tanks for beginners.  It will give you some good info and starting suggestions.

NjOyRiD

370g System

NjOyRiD

where can i get lighting..home depot !?!?
370g System