Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Why so Many Fish Die-Offs?

Started by dan2x38, August 31, 2007, 10:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I trickle my well water for 24 hours before I use it (partially to try and gas it out but also to catch particles).

If I let it trickle for more than 24 hours the trickle bins start to cycle themselves and nitrites actually show up!  I was shocked when I found nitrites after 48 hours.  I wonder if this would happen to city water showing ammonia - again I was shocked that my mom's water tested for .50 out of the tap.  Seems awfully high.

Zadig

In case you have not seen this before, here is a link to the City of Ottawa's web page called "Chloramine in Your Drinking Water - Information For Fish Owners":
http://www.ottawa.ca/city_services/water/27_2_5_2_3_en.shtml

dan2x38

Nice catch succinctfish sounds like ya got it in time!

KLKelly I am going to test my tap & bin for maturing water again... Yes 0.5 NO2 sure is high from the tap!  :o My tap water usually shows 0.25 but I wonder if this is just because of my test kit and it is reading the chloramine? They say the nester test kits give false readings that way, I use the API kits.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."