Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is this really a piranha?

Started by Quatro, August 26, 2007, 09:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quatro

My friend sent me this and I don't think its a piranha.  Mind you it does look vicious and I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley.  What do you think it is?

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_aug2007/PiranhaOnSteroids.htm

babblefish1960

No it is not a piranha, at the moment I can't say what it is with certainty, but piranha it is most definitely not.

mseguin

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

babblefish1960

Nerine

thanks :D it's a pretty neat looking fish!! though something I do NOT want to meet :D
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Quatro

Excellent Nerine.  Good eye.

Its funny how people see a fish with big teeth and immediately think piranha.  Thats probably why I'm not fond of them.  You tell someone you keep piranha and they start thinking that you run a fishy fight club in your basement.

Mettle

I always feel sorry for gorgeous fish like that when they're strung up as trophies. It's so pathetic and humiliating for what was probably a fantastic predator. Same thing with sharks, and yes, even piranhas.

Piranhas are remarkably interesting fish... Sadly, most people get them for the wrong reasons. One day I hope to have a large 6 or 8 foot tank and have a nice shoal in there. But we'll see.

Zoe

I'd love to be strung up like a trophy when I die  ;)

Seriously, what does it eat that it needs teeth that big?

babblefish1960

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 27, 2007, 12:26:00 AM
Tourists! :)

Well the slow ones at least.  As the old saying goes you don't have to be a fast swimmer, just faster then the slowest one.

hamstercaster

I must admit that at first I was very skeptical and thought of a Hoax.  I thought someone was able to photoshop alligator teeth to a fish.  If you look closely his teeth are almost exactly as alligators and crocodillians are.  This prompted me to search the net and it does seem real indeed... Wow!!!

zapisto

Quote from: Mettle on August 27, 2007, 12:09:09 AM
Piranhas are remarkably interesting fish... Sadly, most people get them for the wrong reasons. One day I hope to have a large 6 or 8 foot tank and have a nice shoal in there. But we'll see.

wrong reason ?
first time i ever meet a pirahna was in my soup  :o
did think at this time people would keep that in a tank  ::)

plecoL83

I've seen those before and actually read an article on keeping them, darn it........ hmmm, trying to remember what it said... ;)

Nerine

I remember seeing the fish somewhere LOL It's one scary looking fish!! and I wouldn't want to be fishing FOR it!!! can you think of the kind of bite it can inflict on a person? What if it got you in the face!

my mom had a few breeding pairs of wild caught piranha's back in the 70's to early 80's. They were beautiful fish!!

beowulf

Quote from: Nerine on August 27, 2007, 01:23:01 PM

my mom had a few breeding pairs of wild caught piranha's back in the 70's to early 80's. They were beautiful fish!!

Some can be IMO but some are just plain ugly.  :o

apuppet

i gotten this a few days ago, and was curious what type of fish this is. i thought piranha would have rows of razor teeth, but .. there is only one set.  is this a piranha? 

this was from an email.:
STAY OUT OF UNSANITARY WATER, it is no longer questionable to me, it's a given.

This is a Piranha, from the Amazon!  FREAKY?  If that's in mutant waters, then what are the people going to turn out like?

OH wait, they are in the tummy of the other piranha.

The next time you're wading in your third world eco paradise stream or lake, just remember, your place in the food chain may get re-shuffled.?

I bet things like this reduce the urge to go skinny dipping.

"

[attachment deleted by admin]
planted

estuary

African Tigerfish - Hydrocynus goliath