Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

glass or plastic ? aquarium cover

Started by Kobi, August 31, 2007, 11:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kobi

Hi,
I'm planning to put another light on my aquarium and need to protect the lights from the water.
My aquarium is a 46 gal. bowfront so I would like to have a 35" by 10"  (90cm. by 25cm) rectangle under the lights. The curved plastic piece (part of the black plastic hood that came with the aquarium) at front could be lifted for feeding.  Also, the rectangle of glass or acrylic would need to have 3 holes at the back for filter tubes and the heater.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for thinking about it!
Kobi
46 gal planted bowfront
- 2 pairs Microgheophagus ramirez (German blue rams), 15 cardinal tetras, 4 panda corys, 4 bushynose plecos
- vallisineria (straight + spiral), cabomba, egeria, dwarf sagittaria, java fern, wisteria, anubias nana, rotala

darkdep

Plastic would be easier to make/have made, but it would bow more.  Glass can be cut by any glass shop to your specs, dunno if the curve is an issue tho.

I have my glass cut at Rossen Glass and Mirror in Kanata.  Give them a ring for a quote on the glass, it's cheap!

Kobi

Thanks DarkDep
It sounds like glass is the better way to go. What thickness do you suggest for a 35" by 10" piece?
46 gal planted bowfront
- 2 pairs Microgheophagus ramirez (German blue rams), 15 cardinal tetras, 4 panda corys, 4 bushynose plecos
- vallisineria (straight + spiral), cabomba, egeria, dwarf sagittaria, java fern, wisteria, anubias nana, rotala

darkdep

Tops don't need to be very thick actually;  regular ol' 3mm glass would probably be fine.  That's the thickness I have all my glass tops cut, and they are perfect.  You're talking about a piece that's a bit on the long side tho.

I would ask if they have a 4mm or 5mm thickness available, I would personally probably do that for a piece 35" long.

fischkopp

Quote from: Kobi on September 01, 2007, 08:47:11 PM
... glass is the better way to go ...

I would prefer glass for a second reason: light fixtures generate heat. I noticed my 2x T5 becomes so hot, that touching it isnt really a good idea. So with such a light sitting on top of an acrylic lit i would be affraid of deformations.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Kobi

Thank-you DarkDep and Fischkopp
The glass top sounds like the only way to go, and I'll give the Kanata place a try.
Regards,
Kobi
46 gal planted bowfront

PoisonJello

any glass place just tell them what you want it for and they will tell you how thick the glass should be
plexi glass is ok but over time it will sag unless it is screwed to the top, also it can get scratched easy when cleaning
glass is best to use
If you go into BA just have a look at the glass tops to see how they are made and you can get the plastic parts at BA for the back to go around the filter and heater

bitterman

I have 6mm over my 60" tank that has no center brace and it is fine.

Bruce