Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

5G pretending to be a 10G.... (switching fish to a bigger tank question)

Started by Kats, September 08, 2007, 04:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kats

Well, maybe not.... like my hubby says, it's my sense of not being able to tell quantities properly that did it!!   :-[

I went down to check the original box for my daughter's tank and, lo and behold, our tank is not a 10G but a 5G!!!!!   :o :o :o :o :o

That means we have 5 angels, 3 white clouds and a chinese algea eater crammed in there!!! 

Got the angels when they were the size of a dime and now they are the size of a big silver dollar!!!! 

Our 46G should come in by Friday.... I'm getting a bit worried that the angels will freak out when we move them to an environment 10x the size they have now.  Should they be introduced a special way to the bigger tank or just dropped in (after acclimatating (spl?))?

beowulf

If anything they will love having more space. Important thing is that if the filter on the new tank is not cycled, make sure to use the media from the old filter to help speed things up.  I would also just dump all the water from the 5 into the 46.

dan2x38

Kats I got 1 sponge you can borrow to kick start a cycle... can keep it and replace mine... it's an AC 70 sponge...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

When you set up the new tank, fill it with water that matches the temp of the existing tank.  Get the new filter going and make sure you put the old filter media in your new filter to transfer all that beneficial bacteria to the new tank.  I also recommend dumping the gravel and most of the water from your 5 gallon into your new tank...with the exception of the water used to bag the existing fish.

When you introduce the fish to the new tank, float them for a bit, open the bag and let some of the new tank water into the bag, let it sit and repeat once more.  The fish will be so happy in the new tank!  Feed minimally for the next week or so and test the water every day to monitor any spikes.  If the bacterial culture you have is able to handle the existing fish load, it should be able to handle it in a larger tank.  Leave the lights off on the new tank for the first few hours as well.  The fish will feel more free to explore and get used to their new tank.

Kats

Quote from: beowulfI would also just dump all the water from the 5 into the 46.

the problem with this is that my daughter doesn't want to close her 5g... it was her xmas gift (and the white clouds her end of year "good job" gift) so we HAVE to leave it in her room, therefore, leave water in it to not disturb the white clouds.

Quote from: dan2x38Kats I got 1 sponge you can borrow to kick start a cycle...

Thanks Dan2x38!  I have a filter media I can use to do my cycling (and I might "steal" some gravel from the 5g... psst don't tell my daughter!!)

Quote from: fishnut
...Feed minimally for the next week... 

Can you explain that one to me Fishnut?  I feed my fish once daily now (6 days a week)  By feeding minimally, do you mean reduce the amount of food daily or the number of days I feed them that week?

Here is a pic of our 5G with the 5 angels   :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

KLKelly

Just keep a close eye on the numbers in both tanks! You may have to do more water changes -I would test every day - if you see blips (ammonia and nitrite) or add more cycled media.  Do you have a link to an ammonia toxicity table? You can also dose Prime daily if you see ammonia - not just when you change the water.  It doesn't detox all ammonia - I think up to .6ppm.  I don't know about the other conditioners though.

Fishnut

Yes, when I say need minimally, I meant reducing the food.  Even if you are already feeding once a day, reduce the amount they get...then gradually increase.  I only suggest that because the less load you have on the bio system in your tank, the better, when it's a fresh set-up.

Cute tank!

dan2x38

Quote from: Kats on September 08, 2007, 04:49:38 PM
Our 46G should come in by Friday.... I'm getting a bit worried that the angels will freak out when we move them to an environment 10x the size they have now.  Should they be introduced a special way to the bigger tank or just dropped in (after acclimatating (spl?))?

Do you want a cycled sponge to add into that new tank?

I also got some clippings of Water Wisteria very easy to grow and sucks up ammonia (NH3), nitrite (NO2), and nitrate (NO3) also excess phosphates (PO4) which can trigger early algae blooms too... Will also likely have some more fast growers low demands by the weekend...
Voltaire:

Kats

Hi Dan!  Sure!  I'll take it!  It's AquaClear 70 right?  I'll bring a new one along when I go pick it up.  I'll also take all the easy growing plants you can throw at me  ;D

Tank should be in, hopefully, by Thursday!!  Can't wait!!!  pm me with your address and when you are available this weekend and we'll come over!

Thanks!!

dan2x38

Quote from: Kats on September 11, 2007, 05:50:26 PM
Hi Dan!  Sure!  I'll take it!  It's AquaClear 70 right?  I'll bring a new one along when I go pick it up.  I'll also take all the easy growing plants you can throw at me  ;D

Tank should be in, hopefully, by Thursday!!  Can't wait!!!  pm me with your address and when you are available this weekend and we'll come over!

Thanks!!

Actually the spare sponge is a AC 50. It sits in my 70 though so it is well populated. Just keep it in tank water until you get it home then drop in a filter ASAP to feed the bacteria some air... I'll have some ploysperma too & repens if you like... PM me the day before we'll set a time... Good Luck & Have fun... this is just the beginning... LOL  8) Tell your hubby to relax and enjoy the ride he can't win... ;) LOL

Did you guys go with the Latrite?
Voltaire:

Kats

;D  I think he realized that shortly after we paid for the 46G.... he is showing some resistance though every time I start talking about getting another tank....  my comments of "look honey, Charlie as a tank for sale, fully equipped" goes on dead ears!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  We did a big jump in size from a 20G planned to buying a 46G,  I guess he needs time to recuperate from the shock    :D;D  ::)

We will go with the Laterite, going over to BA tonight to buy all of our accessories, filters, media, laterite., alouette... double points day, might as well!!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the tank will come in either tomorrow or Friday!  I'll pm you for sure!  Thanks!

dan2x38

Quote from: Kats on September 12, 2007, 08:00:38 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the tank will come in either tomorrow or Friday!  I'll pm you for sure!  Thanks!

Plants will be here NP... how long the double points on for? have you posted here for some of your equipment? checked out DarkDep's post? he shut down his fish room still has tons of stuff: filters, heaters, dark substrate I think, etc.
Voltaire: