Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dying fish

Started by renadia, September 10, 2007, 10:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

Bought a second hand 55 gal aquarium Saturday with fish. When the lady caught one of the Synodonptus he was stuck in the net, she pulled one of the side fins right out! He was doing really good until tonight, he's now having problems swimming, and instead of swimming horizontally he swims vertically, like he doesn't have balance, anything I can do? :-[

Laura

That's terrible - the poor little guy.
I would quarantine and use some aquarium salt in the water to stave off infection and keep the water very clean.  Other than that treating any infection that arises would be the next step.  There are folks on the forum much more experienced as to treatments than I though, perhaps they'll have some other suggestions.
Good luck with it.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

Sorry to hear that!  :( Laura is right. To start put him in a QT add some salt... 1 tsp. per. 5 gal. Do not add the salt all at once... scope out several cups of his tank water disolve the salt in it then add a little at a time over 1 hour or more... like Laura said others will likely have more to help... Good Luck! usually fins will regrow it is the secondary infections that are the real concern... clean water... keep him in low traffic area and no need for light either... cut back feedings...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Laura

I should clarify a point Dan2x38 made, a damaged fin which maintains its structure will regrow, but one that has been torn out at the base will not.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Nerine

wow poor fish :( that is why a net and catfish don't mix!!!

Any updates on the fish??
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

renadia

The poor fish died, I had removed him from the tank because he was having more difficulty swimming, where the fin had been pulled out there was a hole so i guess the injury was to big.   :'(

So I guess if a fish gets injured is it better to removed it from the tank right away even if they seem OK and so a salt treatment?

What's the best way to catch a catfish?

BigDaddy

Anything with barbels like that... using a very fine meshed net like a brine shrimp net is the best bet.

dan2x38

Can also catch them in a glass or plastic container... Sorry to hear ya lost him... :( I also use a plastic container for small fish sometimes... they too can get caught in the mesh... :(
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

renadia

Thanks for the info I will buy one of those nets