Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

fish called glowstick

Started by normc, September 13, 2007, 07:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

anybody ever hear of a fresh water fish called a glowstick. My brother who is visiting from ALTA has a small tank 29 gal. And they bought some fish at wallmart called glowsticks ??? ???

fishycanuck

Could they be the fluorescent danios?

babblefish1960

I hate to say it norm, but a) your brother is from Alberta, therefore he is a redneck reformer, and b) he bought them at Walmart, hence the possibility it is one of those devices you shake to make a chemical reaction for temporary lighting, and of course c) he is your brother and is likely having you on because he still does that. ;)

Either that or they are those fluorescent danios fishycanuck is speaking about.

normc

He says they look like cardinals but with an orange stripe and orange eyes.

BigDaddy

Sounds more like a glowlight tetra than a fluorescent danio

normc

glowlight tetra they are I found some pictures and he said thats what they look like.
Thanks to all  :)

fishycanuck

Glad to hear he doesn't have real glowsticks in his tank. Mind you, they are likely very easy to care for.

normc

Quote from: babblefish1960 on September 13, 2007, 07:50:07 PM
I hate to say it norm, but a) your brother is from Alberta, therefore he is a redneck reformer, and b) he bought them at Walmart, hence the possibility it is one of those devices you shake to make a chemical reaction for temporary lighting, and of course c) he is your brother and is likely having you on because he still does that. ;)

Either that or they are those fluorescent danios fishycanuck is speaking about.
My brother admits to being a redneck and is proud of it, but he doesn't know much about fish..

woodendude

I could be wrong but are there not glowlight tetras ?

babblefish1960

Yes there are, they are called Hemigrammus erythrozonus, and they are very naturally coloured, and good natured.

[attachment deleted by admin]