Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Suggestions for first fish

Started by Jeff1192, September 13, 2007, 08:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

I am looking for recommendations for first fish in a 90 gallon, planted community tank I am going to be setting up. I have an Eheim canister filter that is seeded with bacteria (and I am keeping it fed with ammonia for now) so I'm not expecting as severe a cycling process as usual. I know most recommendations are danios or barbs but I'm looking for something else  as I wasn't planning on putting those in my tank. Can anybody recommend a livebearer or a tetra that would be a good first fish? I head read that glowlight tetras were hardy first fish. I have also read that a good rule of thumb for first fish to be added to the tank is 1" of fish per 10 gallons. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

kennyman

Hi Jeff. I  like to get a cleaner crew going like cories or some other bottom feeders as my first fish. They will scavenge any food you toss in and are useally very tough. then once algae starts to grow I add  suckermouth catfish of some type. A few weeks later, once I know my filter is up to it, I start adding specimen/feature fish  :)

beowulf

The one inch per fish is not must it really depends on how much filtering you have and the type of fish.  A pleco will create much more waste then most other fish at the same size.

What kind of plants are you going with?

I would say some nice South South American cichilds like rams or apistos is always fun.  Add some fancy plecos and since I am a loach/botia fan I would add some loaches.  Also a nice school of rumynose or pencil fish is great.

Jeff1192

I definitely want some rams or apistos....or both....but I wasn't sure if they were good first fish. I also wasn't sure about cleaners as first fish...I wanted to put a number of otos in the tank along with some shrimp and plecos as cleaners. In terms of filtration I will have an Eheim Pro II 2026 and an Aquaclear 110. So I think I'm well covered there.

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

dan2x38

I am a little prejudice a favorate Tetra on mine is, Black Shirt Tetra. Another is the, Serpae Tetra. Of course the usual helpers: Cories, SAEs, BN Pelco, Loaches, etc... maybe not the first but next additions maybe...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

beowulf

As first fish, white clouds are never wrong as they are hardy as hell and can take the fluctuation that a new tank can suffer.

Fishnut

If you have no interest in livebearers, skip them.  There are plenty of interesting starter fish for a tank like that. 

Serpae tetras are a great starter idea.  They'll be ok with everything you listed and are nice, colourful fish.  Watch out mixing loaches and shrimp though.  You might have to choose one of the other.  Most shrimp like cooler water than Rams and apistos.

Rams and apistos especially need a well established tank to go into.

Jeff1192

Yeah I wasn't going to go with Loaches because I definitely want to have shrimp in the tank. In terms of plants I was thinking some swords, Hygo and/or hornwort for at the back of the tank and then some anubias, java fern and/or java moss as well. I'm planning on using fluorite substrate with a very large piece of driftwood and some black and white chunks of granite for decor. I'm am completely open to plant suggestions :). For lights I have a 48" T5 HO fixture that takes 4 x 54 watt bulbs. I'm not planning on going with CO2 right away so I'm planning on only putting in 2 bulbs for now so that I don't have algae issues.
   I want to have a couple of live-bearers because I know my son will get a kick out of seeing the fry.

- George Orwell

dan2x38

Quote from: Jeff1192 on September 13, 2007, 09:39:39 PM
   I want to have a couple of live-bearers because I know my son will get a kick out of seeing the fry.

The Mickey Mouse Platies are KEWL for kids... my son 9 loves them... they are a great started fish too...

I got some Kuhli Loaches the other day they just swim past my cherry shrimp...
Voltaire:

kennyman

Get your plants in and established for a week or so first. They will soakup the ammonia from your starter fish before it fouls the water provided you have enough plants and start with few fish. It is called a silent cycle and in my experience is the THE best way to start any tank.

washefuzzy

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 13, 2007, 10:32:13 PM
I got some Kuhli Loaches the other day they just swim past my cherry shrimp...
Dan where did you get your kuhli loaches. I looking for some.

dan2x38

Quote from: washefuzzy on September 15, 2007, 09:17:26 PM
Dan where did you get your kuhli loaches. I looking for some.

BA Innes 5 for $13.50 they have a bunch nice size approx. 2" & healthy.
Voltaire: