Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I HATE HYDRA!!!!!!!

Started by Fishnut, August 29, 2007, 11:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

AAAAARG...they're in my CPD tank.  I have been wondering why the new fry are not surviving as well.  :'( I found 3 hydra so far...I have a feeling it's the tip of the ice berg.  STUPID BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP HYDRA!!   >:(

Research commencing... :-\

zapisto

if not invert in tank
anything with copper will get rid of them.

babblefish1960

As zapisto said, copper, and as the daleks say, exterminate, as old B-films were prone to say, kill, kill, kill, they will kill all of your fry forever if you don't get a handle on them.

Show no mercy, give no quarter, o'er the ramparts and into the breach, destroy, destroy, destroy! >:(

Fishnut

Copper it is!  I'll be making a trip to BA tomorrow.  Stupid little micro monsters.   >:(

I read that if someone feeds copious amounts of brine shrimp, that they're bound to have lots of hydra.  How is that possible...BBS are salt water, clearly hydra are freshwater.  Is it because of the copious amounts?  The fish in the tank ONLY get fed BBS and bloodworms.

Sigh...

zapisto

Quote from: Fishnut on August 30, 2007, 12:57:26 AM
Copper it is!  I'll be making a trip to BA tomorrow.  Stupid little micro monsters.   >:(

I read that if someone feeds copious amounts of brine shrimp, that they're bound to have lots of hydra.  How is that possible...BBS are salt water, clearly hydra are freshwater.  Is it because of the copious amounts?  The fish in the tank ONLY get fed BBS and bloodworms.

Sigh...
take care , after treatment with copper , no more invert in this tank for long time....
be aware of this

Fishnut

Oh!  For a long time?  Just as well.  I don't really want anything but CPD's in there anyways.

dan2x38

I've been researching this crap. It comes from BBS especially if overfeeding. So far I've read the 2 most suggested treatments: 1. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide but cannot find the consentration  2. Fluke Tabs at 1/2 strength
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Dan, if you're able to, experiment with eradication and how the plants fare.  Since my infestation was mild, I was able to starve the hydra by not feeding any more brine shrimp to the fry.  They were happy eating flakes, and now I can't find any more hydra.

fischkopp

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 20, 2007, 08:56:00 PM
3% Hydrogen Peroxide but cannot find the consentration

You have to be very careful with H2O2, it can kill plants (vals, moos, hornwort ...) and fish (esp. scaleless one), and especially juveniles are very sensitive.

I dont know how good it works for hydra, i used it for algae. But i guess it will treat/harm every not too complex organism. A "normal" (quite safe) dose for 3% H2O2 is 2ml/100l. You can slowly increase it to max 20ml/100l. A dose of 200ml/100l is said to kill fish.

But using it with your juvis may still not be a good idea ...
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031