Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Do goldfish "groom" one another?

Started by CMW, September 26, 2007, 08:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMW

I am probably going to feel very silly for asking this, but do goldfish have a habit of grooming other fish?

I thought I had seen this happen before but today I was out on the bridge feeding my koi and watching them.  There are currently a mix of fish (1 huge fancy goldfish, 1 standard koi, 5 butterfly koi and 6 feeder goldfish).  I witnessed the second smallest (<2") of the feeder goldfish do what appeared to be grooming of one of the butterfly and then the huge fancy (>8").  What the little fish did was swim up beside the larger fish, from behind, sidle up beside it so that it was swimming alongside actually touching sides with the larger fish and then it looked like the little fish was trying to clean the side fins of the bigger fish.

I debated if he was trying to harm the bigger fish but he does not appear to be trying to tear off pieces of their fins.  Rather he (could be a she, I have no idea) starts close into the body and kind of does a sweep of the fin going out towards the end.  I have been feeding them and there is lots (LOTS) of stuff growing in the pond at this point that they could fill themselves up on.  No need for the next to smallest to try snacking on the largest.  I have not observed this little guy doing anything aggressive.  The little ones sometimes seem to give chase for a while, or they could simply be all fleeing from some perceived threat together.

Is this normal goldfish behaviour?  Is he trying to curie favour and gain protection from the bigger fish?  He makes me think of the little birds that go into hippo's mouths to clean their teeth....

Thanks,
c

PaleoFishGirl

He might be eating the slimecoat off the other fish... I've heard of plecos doing this to goldfish, at least - apparently they find goldfish slimecoats tasty! Maybe your guy has discovered this taste sensation? ;D

CMW

Yuck!

I had heard that about plecos as well.  Hmm, so I have a really odd goldfish.  Oh well.

c