Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY glass tops vs plexiglass or plastic

Started by irene, September 29, 2007, 12:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irene

Does anyone know if it's OK to sit a lighting fixture on top of plexiglass instead of glass?  Or will it get too hot and melt?

Irene

fyrebull

Quote from: irene on September 29, 2007, 12:34:56 PM
Does anyone know if it's OK to sit a lighting fixture on top of plexiglass instead of glass?  Or will it get too hot and melt?

Irene

Yes, I do. I have Lexan top covers similar to Plexi, It won't melt but plexiglass may discolour (not Lexan) but the one problem is the thinner pieces will warp under heat and bow if they carry any weight, so bracing is a must. the advantage is they are easy to drill and cut.

Aquaviewer

Quote from: irene on September 29, 2007, 12:34:56 PM

Irene

Yes it will warp and go opaque.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

irene

Ok, thanks I think I'll stick with glass.

Irene

Cheebs

I'm using thin pieces of acrylic sheets found at the Home Depot.  You can cut them with a knife or saw, and they won't melt.  You just need to stick a small brace under them to stop bowing, but it's not like the bowing will really affect anything, except if you want it to look really neat.  The acrylic panels at Home Depot also have a 10 year anti yellowing warranty.  Now wether or not they would still change color under the light after a while I dont know,  but so far so good for me.  They are really light and easy to move/clean, and to cover 48"x18" it cost me only about 15$, if they do warp or look gross after a few months it's not really a big deal having to pick up some more.

Hope that helps,
Cheebs.