Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bubbles on a leaf?!

Started by NjOyRiD, February 09, 2005, 07:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

how come bubbles is coming out from my Amazon swordplant leafs?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

BigDaddy

Depends.

If the leaf is damaged somewhere, oxygen will escape out the damaged part of the plant.

If the bubble is on the underside of the leaf, and there doesn't appear to be any damage, then you have what is called pearling.  Pearling is when the plants produce more oxygen than what is currently in the water, causing bubbles to form on the underside of the leaves.

If it is a single bubble, or a single stream from one point on the plant, it is probably from damage.  Pearling is something you'd see all along the underside of the leaves.

NjOyRiD

its a single stream from one point on the back of the leaf
but the plant is really nice, no dammage at all!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

mseguin

NjOyRiD

little bubbles every .5 sec..lol
370g System

mseguin

How long has this been going on?

NjOyRiD

370g System

BigDaddy

Pearling isn't that quick.  It's just a damaged point on the leaf... nothing major.  My swords do that too...

Julie

Did you just water change and are you on well water?
I get that after water changes in my whole tank and it occurs more often in the winter.
Degassing in progress- it's either oxygen or c02 being dispersed.  Are you running a canister on your tank?  You've got lots of pressure in there to speed the process along.
I would be curious to know your PH now and when the bubbles are gone.  It will likely increase.
Some fishies don't like this and their immune systems become compromised from too frequent changes.

Julie

NjOyRiD

Julie, I did a water change yes and also with my well water ;)
my ph was at 8...fisrt time i see that on my planted tank!
My filter is Fluval 2 and i just cam back from work..no more bubbles...
370g System

Julie

Your water is exactly the same as mine and mine even has some sulphur and coliform.