Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dominick's Fish: The things we leave behind when we die!!

Started by lis_, October 02, 2007, 03:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lis_

About two years ago, the ECAS conducted their very first fish rescue of approx. 100 freshwater fish which had to be relocated across New Brunswick and Nova Scotia after their owner, Dominick Eden, passed away. It was that rescue that marked the beginning of our fish rescue program and a moment in time that I will always remember as it had a profound impact on me as a hobbyist.

That rescue has now come full circle and the ECAS has been given the wonderful honor of being included in an article published in Walrus Magazine's October 2007 issue. The article, entitled "Dominick's Fish: The things we leave behind when we die" written by R.M. Vaughan may be downloaded here. I thought it would be nice to share it with all of you as well.

l.

*Article reprinted with permission

Crumpet

Thank you very much for sharing this article -- it really struck a chord in me.

succinctfish

Thank you for sharing that with us.  It's wonderful that his legacy of fish breeding and knowledge was preserved.  I know that I have discussed what happens to the fish if...usually when driving on the highway in crazy rush hour traffic with the only other person who takes care of the fish in the car with me. It is sobering, as we have hundreds of fish, and I am attached to all of them, and too many fish tanks.  The fish rescue progam is impressive, and I would like to know more it.

lis_

I would be happy to share the details of our fish rescue program with you. I'll send you a pm with all the info and if you have any questions after you read through it all, just let me know

l.

dan2x38

Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Sue

Thank you for posting that story, I really enjoyed it!

renadia

Heartwarming story  :)  Thank you, it's nice to read about heroes instead of all that goes wrong in the world. Very sad that Dominick died so young.

To see people go out of their way and in winter which makes it all the more complicated to save all his fish that he loved and cared for was very touching. Fish are like small children they have no defense. If you don't feed them or care for them they can't survive and can't do anything to help themselves. If someone gets a group like this going count me in  :)