Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cladophora aegagropila aka algea balls/moss balls

Started by dannypd, January 29, 2005, 12:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannypd

I saw these in a LFS today for $15.

I did some research on them and they seem VERY interesting.

The ones in the LFS seemed to 'eat' the algea at the bottom!!  It was amazing!

I wonder if these marvelous 'plants' can be spliced, and how?

Anyone have experience with them?

pegasus

I wonder if these marvelous 'plants' can be spliced, and how?Yes but you have to turn it occasionally. Think of these balls in nature being toss around on lake shores.

dannypd

Quote from: "pegasus"I wonder if these marvelous 'plants' can be spliced, and how?Yes but you have to turn it occasionally. Think of these balls in nature being toss around on lake shores.

So, rip a piece off and roll two balls?

I wouldn't mind the initial investment if I could lessen the cost os selling it for a few bucks to friends until its paid off...($15-20, $2 a person, sell it 10 times, then start giving away :P)

pegasus

Go for it. I've seen a lot of interest in the club and on this forum.

dannypd

I havn't seen many in the forum, but alright, I'll put in the order...as well as my order for java moss!!

luvfishies

$15??????? For a Marimo Ball??

OMG I've got to start splitting mine up for that price.

www.plantgeek.com
www.aquabotanic.com
www.ebay.ca
www.aquabid.ca

You can usually get these for about $3 USD plus shipping.

dannypd

Quote from: "luvfishies"$15??????? For a Marimo Ball??

OMG I've got to start splitting mine up for that price.

You can usually get these for about $3 USD plus shipping.

lol, how big is yours?  This guy is selling them at 1.4", claiming they are 50 years old, LOL

luvfishies

I've got one in a 10g that's 2" in diameter, and the one in the 33g is at least 3".

Honest, check out ebay and aquabid. there's always some for sale, and for WAY cheaper than $15!!

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

dannypd

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"what?! you buy live plants on ebay..how?!?

I so hope that was sarcastic :S

luvfishies

Of course you can buy live plants and fish and filters and all sorts of things on eBay. I just got a Jebo 828 for $54 USD, with shipping it was $64. Took about 3 weeks from the end of transaction for it to be here, and it's BIG! No way can you get that filter for that price in Canada. Aquabid is also good for fishie-related stuff.

As for plants, as long as the roots are bare (no rockwool or soil) you can ship them across the border. Heck, I've even had Pomacea Bridgesii in "rainbow" colours sent from TEXAS! 2-day shipping via DHL was pricey, but they all arrived safe and sound.

So yes, you can get plants/fish etc off eBay and Aquabid.

squeeker

Speaking of your snails, luvfishies, are any of sellable size yet?  I'd love to get my hands on a blue, ivory, or a LSP...

Nelson

Quote from: "luvfishies"Of course you can buy live plants and fish and filters and all sorts of things on eBay. I just got a Jebo 828 for $54 USD, with shipping it was $64. Took about 3 weeks from the end of transaction for it to be here, and it's BIG! No way can you get that filter for that price in Canada. Aquabid is also good for fishie-related stuff.

As for plants, as long as the roots are bare (no rockwool or soil) you can ship them across the border. Heck, I've even had Pomacea Bridgesii in "rainbow" colours sent from TEXAS! 2-day shipping via DHL was pricey, but they all arrived safe and sound.

So yes, you can get plants/fish etc off eBay and Aquabid.

I've purchased all of my major hobby equipment from EBay at exellent prices.  For example I recently bought two more 13 Watt UV sterilizers at $39US each.  An incredible saving even with exchange, shipping and handling.

tanksalot

I have a some moss balls, they are very cool. They are easy to snip with scissors to make more....but they grow VERY slowly...definitely not a money making proposition, just an exercise in curiosity and patience!

redbelly

I have always thought these were pretty neat, just never wated to pay $15 though.

luvfishies

Nelson, so it was you that nabbed those UV sterilisers!Wicked score!

Quote from: "squeeker"Speaking of your snails, luvfishies, are any of sellable size yet?  I'd love to get my hands on a blue, ivory, or a LSP...

squeeker, not yet. I lost the ivories and LSP, but am trying to hatch out 2 of my own clutches here, and am getting 2 clutches sent up from the US, along with an Asolene Spixi clutch.

The 48g is getting set up over the next few days for the breeding snails, and a Nursery tank for the littles and clutches. Seriously overcrowded, I am!

The clutches I'm getting sent should hatch in about a week/10 days, and then shippable in about a month from then. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you!

redbelly

maybe this is the wrong spot for the but when is a UV sterilisers beneficial? Is that fro fresh or salt water?
I have heard that they are good for killing harmfull bacterial, but will also kill the good bacteria. So are they used for if you are breeding?

squeeker

That's too bad you lost them.  Good luck with the new ones, though!