Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

large older tank, ok to fill?

Started by irene, October 21, 2007, 09:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irene

I have a large tank coming next weekend.  It measures 72"x18"x24"  it is made of 1/2" non tempered glass, there is not center brace.  It is at least 5 years old, maybe more.  It was holding water when I saw it..

Do I dare fill this thing up or should I just use it for my 2 lizards?

Thanks,

Irene

RossW

You could always add bracing made from glass, I think Euro bracing is what it is called.  DarkDep was discussing it a while ago in one of his mofo tank threads.

Jesse

Use it for the beardies, I am sure they will enjoy the extra space! That or get it braced or whatever and build one for your beardies (cheap and much better in the long run).

babblefish1960

1/2 inch glass does not require bracing, it is 1/2 inch glass after all, and there is no reason this tank cannot hold water.  Just check the silicone between the glass panels at the corners for air bubbles elongating and connecting with each other.  Otherwise, fill it up and use it for fish.  That is what it was made for, and can continue to be a good solid aquarium for quite some time yet. :)

irene

Thanks Babble!  I would really like to fill it. ;D ;D  Now, what to put in it..... :)

Irene