Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Gotta love Otos!

Started by Jeff1192, October 21, 2007, 11:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

My tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks now. In the last 4-5 days I've had a minor brown algae outbreak (as expected with a new planted tank). Well I added 6 otos yesterday...and what a difference already. My little fleet of cleaners has been hard at work and they have already cleaned off at least half the plants! (in less than a day). The 2 bn plecos have been helping as well, but what a difference with these little otos.  You have to love any fish that helps you keep things clean!  ;D

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

BigDaddy

Yes Jeff, Ottos are great.

Just remember, once all that algae is gone a nice spirulina disk will keep their bellies full after all that nasty algae is a thing of the past.

Jeff1192

I've got spirulina disks ready and waiting for them once their work is done. I also put zucchini in the tank fairly regularly. I've read that they like frozen peas with the skin removed as well so I'll have to try some of that too. I really like being able to feed my fish a variety of stuff. Flakes must be sooooo boring all the time!

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

dan2x38

I had added Ottos to 2 tanks 4 in each... after 6 months and a couple replacments I am down to one fat little guy a year old now and going strong... they are not so hardy and disappear quite often... I love the little guys... would love to have a batch of 5 or 6 to stay alive...  ???
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

NetCop

I had one... he never made it to the next day... my goldfish ate him.  ???