Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What kind of snail?

Started by washefuzzy, October 19, 2007, 11:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

I'm not sure about what kind of snail this is. He doesn't eat my plants and is about 1"  diameter.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Laura

Giant Ramshorn - Marisa cornuarietis

I'm surprised it doesn't eat your plants, they're reported to be voracious plant eaters.  Applesnail.net says that they eat some sp of plants.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

washefuzzy

I have two brown and cream striped Great ramshorns snails I wouldn't let near my plants.

washefuzzy

Because of his different coloration I thought he was in the same family as the ramshorn but different. If you know what I mean.

Laura

Gotcha!
There are some pics of white/yellow ramshorns at applesnail.net without a differnt sp identification.  They do mention the yellow being a cultivated variety, but on the main page (sorry, I can't link to them) they don't get any more specific.  You may want to do a search of the forums for more info to see if there's been any further discussion.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

renadia

We have 2 ramshorn brown snails in my sons 10 gal and they don't seem to eat the plants , they go on them but seem to just glide on the plants, no damage observed, maybe some varieties don't eat plants but just algea?  ???