Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What type of breeder box is better

Started by renadia, October 22, 2007, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

I think we have 1 maybe 2 guppies that will soon need a breeder box. I put an add in the classified's looking for one.

My question is they are in a 10 gal at the moment, if I add a breeder, won't that take to much space?

What type of breeder box is best to have?

Should I put it in the 75 gal with the mother before thr fry arrive?

Thanks

Diane

Zoe

Personally I don't like breeding boxes... catching and putting the female in there is often stressful, and if you don't time it right, she can be stuck in there for days before giving birth, and it's really too small a place to be for guppies.
IMO you should just stock up on plants and let the babies take their chances - some will survive, but not so many that you'll be innundated with guppy fry :)
Just IMO anyway!

Vizerdrix

I agree with Zoe.  When I used to breed guppies, I would keep the prospective Momma in a smaller planted tank by herself until babies were born.  I've tried those breeders, and found that the circulation in them was awful no matter what the size of the tank was.

renadia

Thanks for your feedback!

I did find those things pretty small! I will add more plants and just let nature go  ;)  I just noticed that a bunch of tiny snails have appeared :D
So I will just leave everyone in there and if to many survive I will put the males in the 75 gal  ;D

Diane