Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What works best for pruning and vacuuming question

Started by Jeff1192, October 16, 2007, 01:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

This may be a dumb question but what do you guys recommend using for pruning plants? Do you just use regular scissors or is there something better?

And while I'm asking plant questions, is there a trick for vacuuming the heavily planted areas of a tank so that you're not pulling the plants out of the substrate? I'm hoping this will get better once my plants are more established and have more roots. However, right now they obviously get pulled up quite easily (alot of them are trimmings that I got a couple of weeks ago).

Thanks,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

BigDaddy

I have a pair of 12 inch scissors with a curved tip.  Makes it a bit easier to get at hard to reach places without having to go in up to my elbow.  ;)

Don't heavily vacuum those areas is the immediate answer.  The mulm that builds up is natural fertilizer anyway, and frankly if your plants are dense enough.. just a wave in their general direction is usually enough to stir up any detritus you'll want to vacuum.

Jeff1192

Where did you find curved scissors that long? That seems like the perfect solution to me but I've never seen curved ones that long.

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Aquaviewer

Quote from: Jeff1192 on October 16, 2007, 02:25:23 PM
Where did you find curved scissors that long? That seems like the perfect solution to me but I've never seen curved ones that long.

Jeff

http://azgardens.com/newtools2.php
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

Jeff1192

- George Orwell

BigDaddy

busdriver

You can also find them in a medical supply store, but they probably are expensive.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

dan2x38

Takes a bit longer but I use a smaller diameter vacuum tube to get between my plants I no longer go very deep though...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."