Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

starting out advice

Started by Taltos, October 27, 2007, 07:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taltos

I was out with a friend yesterday that says she has a 40 gallon in her basement from years ago - Hopefully, it is in good condition, and I can start with that - Although I would need to purchase light kit, and the rest of the stuff that goes with it.  Any ideas on what i need in terms of filter size etc....what is needed to get a 40 gallon started.
Thanks so much

kennyman

Perfect sized tank for a beginner! Once you get it setup and figure out a good stable secure stand for it you should checkout the monthly auctions the club has. There is almost always a decent sized filter and light unit that you will get at the best price for used equipment that you can ever expect.

Anything moving over 150 gph should work just fine. But dont discount sponge filters either. I have one as the sole filtration on my 20 gal. Great little things in the right situation.

Vizerdrix

Any idea what you're going to use it for?  I over-filter my 65g, because I have 4 goldies and a small koi in there...

fishycanuck

You need to do a thorough vinegar cleaning of the old tank and equipment, then fill the tank to check for leaks. More than a few of us have had floods!
Please have a look at the articles listed on the left hand side of this page, starting with tank set-up and maintenance.
My best advice is to be patient, most of my tank problems have been related to trying to rush things....

beowulf

As fishy said.  Make sure to look at the mechanical seal on the tank.  What you are looking at is the area that the two panes of glass meet and there should be silicone there holding it together.  If you see a lot of little air bubbles, it might be a good idea to either skip the tank or look into resealing it.

Taltos

thanks everyone - i will look for everything that you've mentioned - I guess it would be a good idea to check for leaks before begining!!! 

KLKelly

Also - try and get some cycled filter media to get your tank ready for fish or do the fishless cycling method.  No fish are harmed during either process :)  There is a lot of info on the web about fishless cycling- I can send some links but this approach involves a lot of patience.  Ovas members have shown themselves to be very generous with filter media.

dan2x38

If you need some filter media I will trade you a colonized sponge for a new one. I got an Acqua-Cllear 70 & 50. You just drop it in your filter in a short time your tank is cycled and ready for a few hardy fish. But test 1st before adding any fish... no point doing a fishless cycle than adding fish to soon...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Dr. Ashtray

I would probably put a glass panel lid with a couple of t5 light bulbs on top.  I would also invest in some European water lettuce to keep the algae down at the inset.  You would want a good surface covering for that purpose.  Once your tank has stabilized you can remove most of it a little at a time.  I would put a rena XP2 filter on that particular tank.  They are equally as good as the best eheim filter for half of the price.  Also made in Germany.  You may also want to consider using local rocks and sand with either a flourite base for about a cm and a half under about 3/4" to an inch of sand gently dropped by hand on top of the flourite after rinsing them all like crazy.  Put 10 gallons of water on top of the flourite then gently drop the rinsed sand over that by hand. 

This is pretty much what I do to set up tanks lately.  There are other tweaks, but that is pretty much it.

Jeffrey...