Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water Change Test

Started by NetCop, October 25, 2007, 10:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetCop

As I already know, most do thier water changes the same way, one of a couple of schedules and percentages anyways.

What I thought I would do starting this evening is a daily water change.

Slow down... before you panic...

I calulated the amount I would normally do on a weekly basis and divided by 7 (*7 days in a week... but you knew that already..... right?).

From this calculation I will only remove that 7th of what I would do on a weekly basis and do it daily, and then top it off with treated water.

This way I am still doing the same amount of water change in a week but spread out over the week.

You still with me?

Okay...

Has anyone else tried this?
If so what were your results?
Was it the same.
Easier to do because there was less water to deal with?
Made things worse?
Made things better?
Do you have any concerns with my trying this?
Do you think I'm out of my mind and this would be a OVAS first to try?

C'mon, gang... let me hear (okay... read) your feedback on this.

mseguin

Definitely a good idea, smaller more frequent water changes are always better. Only thing is that yuo should change a bit more than 1/7th of what you would weekly, as by the nature of fractions (or percentages), each time you're changing some of the fresh water added the day before, or the day before, etc, and not getting the full benefit of the all at once change.

NetCop

Quote from: mseguin on October 25, 2007, 10:15:23 PMOnly thing is that yuo should change a bit more than 1/7th of what you would weekly

I am using a container that would be a tad bigger, not to mention when adding the new water, I am topping it off due to evaporation etc so it does get the little extra that way.

babblefish1960

This has been done many times by many people with varied results depending of course on the condition of the tanks involved and of course the manner in which the water is replaced.

To begin, should you be using a python system of replacement and filling directly from a tap, you will need to be adding dechloraminater on a total volume basis if you are on city water.  That of course gets quite expensive.

If you are using the water storage system (system we'll assume means a bucket somewhere inconveniently placed in the home somewhere), then you only need to treat the replacement water, a much cheaper version.

I have used this in the past BC (before chloramine), and it was actually hooked, to great success, with a storage bin that would fill up the tank when I drained off water.

Your coming experiment is a good one, as the best results come from smaller more frequent water changes as pertains to the changing conditions of the water parameters.  We do not want to introduce massive pH swings and such, and these smaller changes tend to avoid these pitfalls and side effects.

Good luck, and have fun with that. :)

fischkopp

Your idea is not bad at all. It is way better to change smaller amounts more regulary. The right amount however varys depending on fish and plant load of the tank. So having that said you have to find the right (weekly) amount that suits your tank so you wont have increasing nitrates and so on although you change the water daily.

My only worry with you plan is: you want to do it by hand. I know from myself that even an contineous weekly/biweekly schedule is hard to come by. But daily WC will need a lot of dedication  ;) What people do is installing automatic systems, having a dripping line to remove contineously water from the tank combined with an automatic top off system, like you ave in toilets. This makes the plan a lot easier in the long run ...
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

NetCop

babblefish1960 - I am doing the 'bucket' way for this so I can have the water temped and treated before it goes in, not to mention easier to measure the amount of treatment to add to the water so I scoop one container out into the 'dirty bucket' and then top off the tank with the fresh treated water which I had ready ahead of time.

fischkopp - Before the 'python' method, this is how we changed the water in our tanks. As for dedication, no worries about that as I spend enough time in front of them as well as I am going to the tanks to feed them anyways so it all works out.

RoxyDog

My only question is...why?   ???  Not in a bad way why, just why?  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

NetCop

Mainly to test it out.
As most will say; smaller, more frequest water changes is good and also while I'm going to the tanks daily anyways it's a quick change that takes seconds to complete.
I'm only doing this on one of my tanks as an experiment to see if I get a change in water quality and/or clairity.

fishboy

Personaly i think it is a bad idea. Yes it may be better to clean the water or what ever, but also think about the fish. If u are disturbing them everyday they are going to get stressed. It is good to do it once a week, so they have a week with out stress.

Thats just my opinion. But think of the fish :)

dan2x38

When I change 10% or 30% there is not a lot of difference with the amount of work involved. I would think even with small changes that the work load would increase dramatically. Topping off buckets & treating water, hoses wrapped & unwrapped, buckets rinsed & emptied not just once in 7 days but 7 times a week.

Other than that can't see why the changes would not keep the tank very stable & clean... I like the idea of no pH swings, steady water parameters... as for disturbing the fish that would be minimal...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

NetCop

fishboy - I don't see much stress to the sole inhabitant in that tank... heck... I think he's been taking tips from my little human in a fur coat (read: cat) and doesn't even realise he's a fish.

dan2x38 - You said as I just did to fishboy, there would be minimal disturbance to the little scaled human in a tank (read: Oscar). As for the other stuff, I don't mind... it doesn't take long and besides, with a 6 year old little buffalo (read daughter) living under your roof the fish tend to be our hobby/social life! ;D

kennyman

I'm sure your Oscar will appreciate the regular visits of Mr. Siphon. The are funny like that! I get a kick out of my fish trying to bite at detritus going up the tube during waterchanges  ::)

And on a side note I can still remember being that little under-the-foot enthusiast when it came to helping out with my Dad's Oscars some 30 plus years ago. Your kids will appreciate the time spent  8)

NetCop

Oscar is like one of the kids!  ;D

Glouglou

Yep I think it's a good idea because less drastic changes for fishs and plants.

dan2x38

Quote from: NetCop on October 27, 2007, 10:29:15 AM
Oscar is like one of the kids!  ;D

Got ya about the fish being your social life... Ditto! We have a 9 year old boy...  ::)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."