Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I really hate city water now! (I already hated my well water)

Started by KLKelly, November 07, 2007, 09:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I complained about the ammonia spike in my moms city tap water a couple months ago - 1.0.  My well water sucks so I take some jugs of city water every couple of weeks (been doing this for over a year and posted on it a few times).  Ph was always 7.6 so I just took the ph for granted.

I tested the tap water three times .... ph is a dark purple! Off the high range chart.  I heard Nerine say that her ph was 9.0 in Orleans and was floored that it was possible.

You guys explained the ammonia spike this summer.  Can you explain the crazy ph?????  My mom lives off of Cyrville so I wonder if BigAls on Innes has seen this also. 

I'm going to see what leaving it out for a day does to it.  I took the ph for granted so I wonder how long its been like this  :o

Thanks.

Karrie

dan2x38

Well ya got to interested. I too take mine for granted. It is usually 7.4 - 7.5. I have standard test kit & high range. I tested with standard it was very dark blue. Tested with high range kit was 8.0 - 8.5. It is definately higher then usual. I live in centertown. Sodium & calcium will raise pH what else? I inject CO2 which lowers pH so this pH swing in water can be a real issue... I mature my water always though it tests always 7.5 or lower... very interesting KLKelly!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

plecoL83

Nerine

Now I'm nervous again to change the water!! At least i have prime!!

guess I'll be taking a trip to get some more test kits (I lost mine somewhere in the house? anyone seen it? LOL!)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

charlie

I don`t test my water going into the tank & i dont age it either. Python out & in with Cloram X double dosed, all`s well so far , hope it stays that way.
Regards

Nerine

yeah, I guess with enough chemicals we're pretty safe :)

I miss the taste of the water out west :P here we're stuck with pool water from the tap ;)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

cemantic

Glad to see I'm not the only one with city water issues.

Ammonia has seemed to be okay and PH is about 7.  We are around fisher and carling area.  One thing I did get one day is Nitrite in the water out of the tap.  It tested around 0.5   Not outrageous but still ...  That was tuesday, Wednesday it tested zero.

I am cycling a tank with fish right now so am doing daily water changes.  Now every time I put water in I am testing the city water first.  A real pain.  It's not consistant either.

dan2x38

Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."