Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Re: T5 54 watt bulbs availabilty

Started by cemantic, November 05, 2007, 01:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cemantic

I have two sets of three T5 54W 4100K bulbs for a 110 gallon aquarium run off of a Workhorse 7 ballast for each set.  A DIY canopy.

Does anyone know where you can order 5600K to 7600K T5 tubes at 54W and 48", (actual 45-46") size or is there any specialty tubes that would be better then what I have?

What K range would be the best to look for?

Locally in Ottawa all I could get was the 4100K which I know are not the best.

Thanks

charlie

Try Litemore, i got some from them a few mths ago & it was in stock.
Regards

assiegordon

Ray has piles of bulbs too.  Everything from 3000K to pure actinic.

What kind of a tank are you lighting?  I was thinking of doing the DIY lights, but came across a Tek fixture that ended up being cheaper.  Growing digitata on the sand (26" deep tank) with the 6 lights.

Jim.

cemantic

I have a 110 gallon tank 30 inches tall or deep.  48 x 18 for the other dimensions.

I called Litemore and was looking for a GE 7600K which I was able to determine was a good color and compliment to the 4100K I already have.  They couldn't order them but could get Sylvania T5 54W 7600K.  They assured me it is the same color range but I would bet they are not the same but should do.  I ordered six and will use one set of three with the 7600K and the other set of three with the 4100K tubes.  Then I have spares.

The tank was setup on Oct 15 and the fish went in on the 21st from our pond.  1 six inch koi, 3 five inch goldfish, 1 fantail about four inches and 4 others about 4-5 inches.  Deep tank  and goldies so the plants are mainly swords and java ferns with a couple of other ones that I'm not sure of the name.  So far they haven't eaten them but they do root around the plants.

Used pond filter and java rock boi mass in the filter and java rock on the bottom of the tank.  There is algae coming along so playing with the lights is an experiment on how long and the K factor.  I'll find I guess.

The tank is still cycling and have had to do lots of water changes.  Funny the ammonia is almost zero but a big spike in the last day or so with Nitrate and Nitrite. 

I am hoping the plants survive, thrive and are not lunch for the goldies and koi.

Is Ray another member?

BigDaddy

I have ordered Sylvania 6500K 48 inch T5HO bulbs from Litemore with no issues.

cemantic

Good to hear about the lights from Litemore.

Hopefully they can get them in a reasonable time frame.

Thanks