New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Heating water in a plastic garbage can

Started by Laurie, November 04, 2007, 05:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurie

I bought a Rubbermaid plastic garbage can so that I can have heated water ready for water changes in the basement, where my tanks are (I mix well water with RO water). Is it safe to use an aquarium heater in the plastic garbage can? If not, what is the best way to heat it?

BigDaddy

Lots of people do it.  If you want to be safe, make a little plastic or glass bracket to suction the thermometer to so it isn't stuck directly to the side of the bin.

dan2x38

You can also use a bottle. Stick heater down inside bottle use a plastic wrap to not allow it to go all the way down. Place bottle into garbage can and fill bottle with water place on the bottom. If you forget to unplug heater when adding water to a tank it even protects the heater from over heating somewhat or gives you a chance to unplug it in time.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Laurie

Thanks, Dan, I will give it a try. There is a removable plug in the lid that I thought might work too but your idea sounds better because the heater will be held in place better.

wu-gwei

It won't melt the plastic... I often use 50G rubbermaid plastic storage conatiners as spare tubs turtles. I use a heater in their all the time. If the heater is submerged, it will not melt. If the heater is not submerged and comes in contact with the plastic, then you'll get a mess.

Cheers,
JJ ;)

succinctfish

I'm no plastics expert, but I would be concerned about heat and non-food grade plastic.  Could there not be some chemical leaching into the water that could affect the fish?  I know your not supposed to just put any plastic into the microwave because pseudo estrogen gets released into the food. Now that's more complex than simply heating water with a submersible heater, but I would be leery nonetheless.

dan2x38

Succintfish your right there is a chemical leached into the water with the wrong plastic. I forget the name of the plastic. A simple test for it is filling the container with hot, hot water, after 10-15 mins. If it has a stong plastic smell coming off the water it is not a potable container.
Voltaire:

gonzobluefuzz

Quote from: dan2x38 on November 13, 2007, 10:29:09 PM
Succintfish your right there is a chemical leached into the water with the wrong plastic. I forget the name of the plastic. A simple test for it is filling the container with hot, hot water, after 10-15 mins. If it has a stong plastic smell coming off the water it is not a potable container.

On that note..... instead of just learning the hard way and dropping the cash only to find out the thing is no good.... anyone know of a a list out there that states food safe/compatible brand names?

Just curious,

G

dan2x38

Quote from: gonzobluefuzz on November 14, 2007, 02:53:15 PM
On that note..... instead of just learning the hard way and dropping the cash only to find out the thing is no good.... anyone know of a a list out there that states food safe/compatible brand names?

Just curious,

G

Not sure if garbage cans would be on that list... LOL

At Preston hardware they sell wine making products. They large plastic barrels, etc.
Voltaire:

Brine

Polyethylene is the plastic most used in things like garbage cans, storage containers, toys, pails etc. If you look for the place (usually the bottom) where all the recycle information is, it should tell you what kind of plastic it is. Polyethylene is "PE". It is food safe. That being said it also depends on what may have been in the container before. If it is brand new there will likely be no problem. If it was used to store garbage or if it was cleaned using some chemicals or soaps then you might have a problem.
Edit: This information from "Series and Mass Production Technology for Product Design, Martien de Leeuw, September 2000 Carleton University Press"

KLKelly

I have been using two large rubbermaid bins for over a year now with a 250 watt heater.  The heater has fallen off the suction cups many times without incident.  After reading your post - I got a bit worried and I'm looking into just getting a heater guard for it.  I was already thinking of getting one for the heater in m 90 gallon anyways.