New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Co2 equipment

Started by matt, November 11, 2007, 08:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt

So I finally decided that mixing yeast,sugar and water isn't effective enough for my co2 needs. So I was looking at buying a pressurized setup but I'm not so sure which one I want.

I was looking at this one: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/co2_equipment.php?product_ID=cr-ppmilreg.

Or for 56$ more I could get this one: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/co2_equipment.php?product_ID=cr-pprnvs

Also there is the red sea available at big al's. The price is quite hefty  :o , so I'm a little hesitant about it.
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18056/si1492953/cl0/redseaco2prosystemdeluxewsolenoid

What would be the difference between these three  ??? . Is the price difference justified?

garnpet

What size tank is it going on?
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

matt

For now it's going onto a 33G, but my plans are to upgrade that tank into a 75G in the near future......Bigger=more fun ;D

Aquaviewer

The Milwaukee is OK, but people have complained about the needle valve and the lack of check valve.  If you consider that one, Marinescape has lowered their price and is likely comparable once you consider shipping and its local.

I can't tell what makes the second one more expensive, but it is likely higher quality components.

I've not seen reviews of the Red Sea, so other s will have to comment.

If I ever replace my Milwaukee (which I've not had a problem with), I'd get one of Rex Griggs.  http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/co2.html.

My two cents
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

charlie

Quote from: matt on November 11, 2007, 08:29:43 AM
So I finally decided that mixing yeast,sugar and water isn't effective enough for my co2 needs. So I was looking at buying a pressurized setup but I'm not so sure which one I want.

I was looking at this one: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/co2_equipment.php?product_ID=cr-ppmilreg.

Or for 56$ more I could get this one: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/co2_equipment.php?product_ID=cr-pprnvs

Also there is the red sea available at big al's. The price is quite hefty  :o , so I'm a little hesitant about it.
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18056/si1492953/cl0/redseaco2prosystemdeluxewsolenoid

What would be the difference between these three  ??? . Is the price difference justified?
Matt, the difference the first & second is that the second is supposedly a better quality in terms of the regulator body, needle valve. I can`t comment on the red sea as i know nothing about it.

I personally run a Milwaukee ( first one) & have no issues with it , some would argue that the needle valve is a little finicky to adjust to which i agree, this set up can be had locally for close to the same price., I also run one from Rex Gregg & would highly recommend it more so with the strength of CDN dollar.This would be the very first one on his site with out the upgraded needle valves@140.USD, note it does not come with a bubble counter .
http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/co2.html
Regards

BigDaddy

The milwaukee unit does have a check valve.  It is built into the bubble counter.  I agree though, the needle valve is far from precise.

The second unit has a better needle valve (looks like a Clippard) and the regulator is a bit beefier than the Milwaukee.

The Red Sea kit isn't really that much more "pricey" since it comes with a reactor and a CO2 indicator - items you don't get with the other two setups.

The one thing Rex sells (that you can probably get locally) is the low pressure regulator from Clippard.  With it, you don't need to spend $$$ on a needle valve, as the LPR will drop the pressure down to very low values and allow for micro adjustments in pressure.

charlie

Quote from: BigDaddy on November 11, 2007, 08:52:27 AM
The milwaukee unit does have a check valve.  It is built into the bubble counter.  I agree though, the needle valve is far from precise.

The second unit has a better needle valve (looks like a Clippard) and the regulator is a bit beefier than the Milwaukee.

The Red Sea kit isn't really that much more "pricey" since it comes with a reactor and a CO2 indicator - items you don't get with the other two setups.

The one thing Rex sells (that you can probably get locally) is the low pressure regulator from Clippard.  With it, you don't need to spend $$$ on a needle valve, as the LPR will drop the pressure down to very low values and allow for micro adjustments in pressure.

Unless it`s a new addition the Milwaukee does not have a check valve built in, the JBL bubble counter does & it fits the Milwaukee , that said i ran mine for a coulple of years with no issues ( Non check valve Bubble counter) .
Regards

matt

Thanks for the opinions so far....keep 'em coming.

When you say I can get most of this stuff locally, what stores do you mean?

So far the stores I'll be checking out are Davidson's or Pyromatek for the 10lb tank. And I've seen that Marinescape has the milwaukee.

When you guys say the needle valve can be finicky. Does that mean it's near impossible to adjust or it just takes a while until you get it where you want?

charlie

Quote from: matt on November 11, 2007, 09:07:24 AM
Thanks for the opinions so far....keep 'em coming.

When you say I can get most of this stuff locally, what stores do you mean?

So far the stores I'll be checking out are Davidson's or Pyromatek for the 10lb tank. And I've seen that Marinescape has the milwaukee.

When you guys say the needle valve can be finicky. Does that mean it's near impossible to adjust or it just takes a while until you get it where you want?
It`s not impossible to adjust , just take a bit of time to dial in.

fischkopp

I am running a Milwaukee for a couple of month. I am quite happy with it but can also confirm what everybody else said about it: you will spend some time (days) in the beginning to adjust it. But once you have that done to your satisfaction it will do a great job.

I had to readjust the low pressure gauge a couple of times in the beginning as the low pressure kept dropping. I did that for about a week every day or so but since its stable. My guess is that the spring inside the gauge had to get used to being used first. Also the needle valve adjustment is coarse, so fine adjustments of the bubble count is a bit tricky.

But all in all I am quite happy although all the CO2 initially triggered a lot of algae growth ;) but its settled now. I am even thinking about getting/building a controller for more stabilized CO2 output and to get rid of the bubble counter. After 1-2 week the wate in the bubble counter evaporates anyway ...
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

matt

Well....I decided on the Milwaukee regulator.

For the 10lbs cylinder I went to pyromateck and let me tell you the service was great. Heck...they even made me a coffee while I waited for them to fill the tank. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to purchase or refill CO2.

He also told me he was going to order brand new 5 lbs aluminium cylinders to add to his line. And he has many more 10lbs refurbished cylinders as well.

It's always fun to get good service out of a store. A+ service Thank you  ;D

BigDaddy

I really should check Pyromateck out.  Especially since they are on my side of the river and closer than Davidson's.

Matt, what was the pricing on the 5lb cylinders?

matt

Quote from: BigDaddy on November 16, 2007, 10:49:56 AM
I really should check Pyromateck out.  Especially since they are on my side of the river and closer than Davidson's.

Matt, what was the pricing on the 5lb cylinders?

He mentioned that they would be 125$ when he received them. I`m not sure when he was planning on ordering them, so I would call to confirm before you go.