Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plants pot

Started by NjOyRiD, January 30, 2005, 08:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

humm, when i bought my dwarf swordplants..there was a pot under, should i remove them or plant them with the pot?!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

BigDaddy

It's called rockwool.  And yes, very carefully remove the rockwool, you don't want to damage the roots.

luvfishies

Remove the pot and the rockwool and plant in the gravel.

nickie

Quote from: "BigDaddy"It's called rockwool.  And yes, very carefully remove the rockwool, you don't want to damage the roots.

Big Daddy,  Thanks for mentioning to remove the rockwool around newly bought plants... I thought it was there to help anchor it, also to help in the new growth....   Im sure I`ve already planted some with the rockwool attached.... I really do`nt want to disturb them now , they seem to be OK and growing !....

BigDaddy

Planting rockwool can be a bad thing.

Most plants you buy from the stores are grown EMERSED, that is to say usually only their roots systems are underwater.  The plants are potted in rockwool because the wool retains the ferts in the water.

Now... plant that rockwool in your tank, and there is the possibility that you will leach those ferts into your water column, which could cause algae.

pegasus

QuoteNow... plant that rockwool in your tank, and there is the possibility that you will leach those ferts into your water column, which could cause algae.
So they use solid slow disolving fertilizers?

nickie

Quote from: "BigDaddy"Planting rockwool can be a bad thing.

Most plants you buy from the stores are grown EMERSED, that is to say usually only their roots systems are underwater.  The plants are potted in rockwool because the wool retains the ferts in the water.

Now... plant that rockwool in your tank, and there is the possibility that you will leach those ferts into your water column, which could cause algae.

Im sure that you are dead right !.. because Im having some problems... even though the plants have been establishing them selves for three weeks, I`ll gently remove the rockwool...Too bad the pet stores do`nt advise the customer !... John P (nickie)