Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Remove topic

Started by Cbellehumeur, November 10, 2007, 12:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cbellehumeur

I need something to help keep my tank clean. I have many hiding places and many rocks but my African's have eaten pretty much anything i've tried. I've tried a few pleco's, and the store's tell me not to bother with snails because the African's well eat them to....any suggestions at all...i'll try anything!

sniggir

90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

audioslave_36

I went through this very same ordeal, I took the advice I got here on OVAS (yes that was a plug :) ) and got four plecos that are at least 4"s long and I have had no issues with loosing them,  but I did loose a lot of little ones before I asked the same question you just did.

Brine

I had some Synodontis with my Africans. They kept the bottom clean of food and the like. I also had regular plecos but they were twice the size of the Africans and even then some of the Africans pestered them.

hamstercaster

I've got a 3 inches long pleco and my Africans don't bother him at all.  They'll swim around him and such but won't try anything on him.  I also recently got two 3 inch synos and they seem to be doing fine too although they hide all day and only come out at night.

mcman

i have bristle nose pleco's and a chinese algae eater that chases them around how big and what cichlids you have. :o

fishtrix

I breed ancistrus and have them in all my African tanks.Usually I introduce small Africans or fry with small ancistrus.With big Africans,I will introduce large ancistrus that have places to hide in the daytime.Ive tryed introduced small ancistrus with big Africans and they try to eat them and the ancistrus will get stuck in the africans mouth and ill lose them both.Ill lose the odd ancistrus but overall I think they do pretty well together as long as they have somewhere to hide.Maybe mine are just used to growing up with them!