Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank cleaning tips.

Started by dan2x38, January 09, 2008, 02:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Went to the tank resealing workshop Babblefish hosted this past weekend. We used razor blades to clean off all the silicone; of course. I have always been leery of using razor blades because I might scratch the glass but this weekend no scratches. Babblefish said blades are all he uses to clean the glass of algae that pads scratch the glass. Well today I used one and my tank has never been cleaner or brighter looking! Used and exacto blade though. I always used those pads you buy at the buck or two but today I got stuff off there with one pass. Plus using the blade it disturbs the fish less because I am not scrubbing up & down on tough spots. Pads be gone blades are my future...  8)

PS- still have not embraced my Python yet... :(
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

mdugly

Ya, and if you get a magfloat (or other) with the glue on razor blade attachment,
you can clean without even getting your hands wet!

kennyman

I like the mounted blades for taking paint off Windows. Fits in the hand quite nice. But for the SW tank I broke down and got a Kent Scraper. No mater how well I tried to clean a blade after using it the SW ate it up.

groupie02

Quote from: mdugly on January 09, 2008, 03:39:50 PM
Ya, and if you get a magfloat (or other) with the glue on razor blade attachment,
you can clean without even getting your hands wet!

I have the large mag float with the glued on blade attachment. You need to remove the blade from your magnet when you're done cleaning or keep it outside the tank. Always make sure that the blade gets dried properly or you will end up with a rusty blade.