Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

actinic power compact bulb dying?

Started by rabson, January 05, 2008, 03:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabson

Hey,

I have power compact lights with 2 dual bulbs, one white and one actinic.  It looks as if one side of the dual actinic bulb is dimmer than the other side?  I'm wondering if this is normal or if it's even possible for these bulbs to go half dead?  One sides bright blue, and the other sorta dimmer and purplish... never noticed if it's always been like this!

Hopefully the pic kinda shows the half dim actinic bulb.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Funkmotor

Absolutely normal.  It's just that your eyes see the two different frequencies of light (it must be a dual actinic, 2 different wavelengths) at different intensities.

rabson

az

how old are the bulbs and how long do you run it for? thx.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

rabson

The bulbs are 2.5 years old now.  I started off having them on around 6 hours a day when the tank was new, now they're up to 10 hours a day.

Thanks

mdugly

Bulbs wear out after time/use.
Just because they still turn on doesn't mean they are still good (color shift, less intensity etc).

I think it is recommended to replace PC bulbs ~12 months or so...

Just curious, do you have any cyano/algae issues ? 

-mike

veron

yehh AZ hit it on the head ''how old are they''  thats to old for PC actinics IMO. I'd change them out. I'd even change them period for a T5 setup [retro] or VHO [retro] much more efficient [the T5]
but for pure visual VHO actinics [UV BRAND] cannot be beat

rabson

Quote from: mdugly on January 09, 2008, 09:53:35 AM

Just curious, do you have any cyano/algae issues ? 

I have a bit of purple hair algae on the power heads and back glass that my yellow tang keeps under control...  other than that everything looks ok.  Actually, now that you mention it...  it seems that the LR closest to the surface of the water is NOT getting covered in coraline agae like the rest of the LR.  I didn't even consider why this might be...  but maybe it's because of old bulbs?  no idea

rabson

I just have to say...  OMG!  I just replace both bulbs and wow!!  The tank looks sooo much brighter.  I also have to say that big al's was charging
$100 per bulb, where as marinescape charged $55 per bulb! (Sunpaq)  What a difference...

Tank looks great again.  Thanks guys/gals