Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

help me!!!

Started by stavieboy, February 27, 2005, 05:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavieboy

hey,

i've got what i've been told as duckweed and it multiplies so much.  tell me how i can control that or do something about it.

mseguin

Well if you don't want to get rid of it completely, just keep scooping it out. Personally I think it looks good on tanks. The top of our 10 gal betta tank is just about covered with it, and it looks very nice with the floating roots hanging down about an inch all over the surface.

manytanks

Hi Stavieboy...

You don't mention whether yours is a planted tank or not. If not and you really don't care for the duckweed, you may never get rid of it as it propagates quickly and is almost impossible to scoop out all the little bits of it.

But if you have a planted tank it may be useful to know that about the best way to deal with algae problems (if you have them) is to use fast-growing plants - duckweed among them - to out-compete the algae.

Just a thought...

Woody

Get some angels. I can't keep duckweed in my aquariums, they leave it alone for weeks, then clean out the tanks, not one peice left. I am now bare.

yellowtang

I wish I had duckweed .Each time I get some
my "guramies devour it in one of my tanks"in less than a week
wish duckweed would multiply as fast as snails. :lol:
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

stavieboy

To Woody:

thanks alot for the info.

StylinT

I read on here all the time about how everyone cant get rid of duckweed but I can never keep it alive an i dont know why I really want some in the oscar tank but they either eat it or it just dosnt survive
ive tried like 3 times an it always dies

BigDaddy

Duckweed in a planted tank can be a pain, simply because it denies some of the light to the plants underneath it.

Here's how I get it out of my tank:

I take my python and place the gravel vac upside down in the water at about a 45 degree angle.  I put it so that it just barely skims off the top level of water.  I then go around the tank "vacuuming" up the duckweed until there is no more left.  Then I finish up my water change.

Inevitably, some stray duckweed ends up under a leaf or some driftwood ... but if I do it every water change it disappears from the tank within a month or so.

The other big pain with duckweed is if it floats around in the tank too much, it can get submerged by the output of your power filter and end up clogging up the intake.

dannypd

lol, my big tank I can NEVER keep it.

I only have ONE tank that I can keep it in, that's my 10 gallon.

Another tank of mine, it went HUGE but there's so few of them.

Other then that, I am duckweed-less

stavieboy

my duckweed is in my 25 gallon.  

to keep duckweed alive in a tranfer from tank to tank keep it in water and make sure it's not too crouded or else it will not work.