Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help! White Mould On Live Rock!!

Started by Sharbuckle, January 27, 2008, 11:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharbuckle

im not sure if its bad or good, or if its nothing, but i want to make sure, its my first SW setup, rock has been in the tank for about 3 days, it was fully cured to begin with, and i noticed that it had this stuff on a peice of it when i first got it, but now its on another peice. please tell me what it is

Thanks
Shawn

[attachment deleted by admin]

sniggir

looks like a sponge if some type to me nothing to worry about
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Sharbuckle

hey thanks pat, but its all over the rock, even on a different one, on the bottom of the rock? sponge?

Cheebs

It looks like it might be coralline algae, I used to have a piece covered in it before the purple started.  It can be all sorts of colors - white, gree, purple, etc..  It's definitely good stuff if that's what it is..  is it thin and hard or spongy?

Sharbuckle

Cheebs

It's the good stuff then, nothing to worry about. Check out this link:  http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/aboutcorallinealgae/ss/coralline.htm

White coralline can grow, but if you had the cured rock outside the water for a decent period of time before sticking it in the tank, the white stuff may just be dead coralline algae, which won't do any harm either.  It'll eventually be coated in live stuff.

Sharbuckle

i dont think it was out of water too long, will have to ask pat about that one? ;D

beertech

Yep, nothing to worry about.  It could also be the skeleton of a dead encrusting type of coral.  (Montipora, etc)

redbelly

If it is white and hard (aka part of the rock) then it is nothing to worry about as previously pointed out there.
If it is white but soft and fluffy and blows off with a power head then it would be a decaying matter and would require further curring.