Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

foxface?

Started by groan, February 18, 2008, 06:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

I have an opportunity to get a small (2.5 inch) foxface any I an seeking your esteemed advice about adding it to my tank as populated below. The fish I have are all small and there is still lots of swimming room.
some sites say they just need 4 feet of length. Others say larger tanks like 70 +.

I don't know how fast they grow but I can tell you that one reason I was considering it is for the red hair algae that is taking over. I have already started a shorter light cycle.

Anyways, this fish looks great and I'd love to add it, if possible. Just looking for advice.

Julie

The foxface is a great fish at eliminating nuisance algae; however your yellow tang will harrass it because of their similar shape.

groan

oh? DTs foster & smith compatibility chart says they are compatible. Anyone have experience in this happening.

Cancel that. Says caution.

Dave88

I just got a foxface two days ago. No problems with it getting along with my yellow tang.  Just be careful with this fish because its spines are venomous.

AdamN

Not to sure about the YT, but it should be ok otherwise. I love mine, and it eats all kinds of algae in my tank.

groan

the tang would quickly find out what the spines are like if it did pick on the foxface, no?

AdamN

I don't think so. I don't think the foxface would purposely try to chase and stab a YT with its spines. They are more for protection against predators.

groan

i know, i was kidding...we are considering getting rid of the YT so maybe now is the time.

AdamN

why would you want to get rid of him? just for the F.F.? or were you going to anyways? If you were going to anyways, yeah, may as well. I cannot speak for YTs, but foxfaces are awsome :)

Steve_2

I'd only put a yellow tang OR a FF in a tank that size, and even that's kinda pushing it considering both these fish can get up to 8"...maybe more for the foxface. And the yellow tang is as tall as it is long. Which do you prefer.

I know that personally, I love the yellow tang. An full-size and healthy specimen is quite impressive.

It's up to you!  :P

groan

Oh I know, but the YT is becoming a bit of a bully to my royal gramma, and frankly i like the gramma better, though i like them all...we'll see