Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Type of yeast for CO2

Started by redbelly, February 19, 2005, 01:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBarb

I'm not sure how this works either. The hagen style is much larger but the CO2 bubble enters the cylinder and is forced to travel a circular path around and around (path of least resistance) How is this manageable in such a small contraption.

hmmmmm... thinking.

Ok what if you had say two one way valves on either end a small piece of tubing filled with water. The water wouldn't leak out because of the valves but the co2 bubble could enter and exit......

BigDaddy

The hagen ladder is primarily a DIFFUSER, that's why its so big.

It just happens to also be a bubble counter, since you can see each bubble start at the bottom of the ladder.

dannypd

Use a 2lt coke bottle, fill it halfway with aquarium water, drill two holes in the cap (fit to the size of air tubing).

One air tube goes 1 inch into the coke bottle, the other, to the bottom.

Air enters LONG tube, travels through water, etc, etc.
Air leaves SHORT tube...

dpatte

interesting. i only ever used one hole/tube as an exit for the CO2. I wonder if the 2nd tube is necessary since the yeast produces CO2 from the sugar.

dannypd

Quote from: "dpatte"interesting. i only ever used one hole/tube as an exit for the CO2. I wonder if the 2nd tube is necessary since the yeast produces CO2 from the sugar.

I use this as a DIFFUSOR!!!  NOT my reactor.

My reactor (2lt pop bottle) ->  diffusor  (2lt) -> tank.

BigDaddy

Unfortunately dannypd, that's not a very effecient diffuser.

If you see bubbles rising to the surface of the tank, and those bubbles are not VERY tiny, then not a whole heck of a lot of CO2 is getting dissolved in the water.

In reality, what you have there is a very effective bubble counter/gas seperator.

Edit - Forgot to say NOT very tiny... in otherwords little of the CO2 has dissolved from the original bubble.

dannypd

whoops again, lol...

I use it because I have this piped into my main air pumps.

TBarb

Quote from: "dannypd"
Quote from: "dpatte"interesting. i only ever used one hole/tube as an exit for the CO2. I wonder if the 2nd tube is necessary since the yeast produces CO2 from the sugar.

I use this as a DIFFUSOR!!!  NOT my reactor.

My reactor (2lt pop bottle) ->  diffusor  (2lt) -> tank.

This would work as a bubble counter though?