Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dying Closed Brain Coral

Started by shaka zulu, February 01, 2008, 09:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaka zulu

At the seminar with Anthony Calfo I picked up at the auction a frag of Closed Brain Coral that he had cut with the wet-saw. It seemed to do well for the first few days, but now is losing the flourescent green algae between the ridges at a quick pace. It is secreting some mucus also, it appears. I am worried this poor thing is dying. All of my basic water parameters are normal as are temp and salinity. The lighting is not optimal but good.

Is this a normal condition after fragging or is this thing in real trouble? Any suggestions? Will the symbiotic algae grow back? What should I do to save it?

Many thanks...

[attachment deleted by admin]
125 gallon long
Sump-Refugium-Skimmer
Coast to Coast Overflow
RO/DI water

sniggir

I have never fraged a brain.. but I would try to give it some tome and maybe try spot feeding it... to help it bounce back
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

shaka zulu

Sounds like an idea... spot feeding was my next plan, but I wasn't sure if it needed more time. Thanks...
125 gallon long
Sump-Refugium-Skimmer
Coast to Coast Overflow
RO/DI water