Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mandarin fish lifespan

Started by gvv, February 05, 2008, 09:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvv

Anyone knows what is the normal lifespan for this fish?

I lost my mandarin 2 weeks ago. He was healthy all the time till the last day - actively swim and hunting pods, but the next day (actually night) I found him dead. It was in my tank for 3 years (maybe even more). I assume he was adult when I got him as well, but no way you can find out how old he was that time.
So, just wondering can it be that he just got old and died because of this?

BTW, the population of pods is growing exponentially after he passed away... Is it time to get new one?

Regards

xenon

Sorry to hear about your loss. Those are my favorite fish!

If you were able to support one for 3years, I dont see why you can't add another one.

Cheebs

Check out this thread, it might help: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1157146&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

It seems the average for most gobie is 3-4 years, with a few rare reports of them living longer, 8 years or so.

percula99

With proper care and water conditions, fish can last a very long time. Keeping him for 3 years is very good. I commend you on how long you had him, and yes, you can add another one. I personally have kept a pair of tomato clowns for 8 years (until they decided to fight to the death), and a pair of banded coral shrimp for 11 years. Check out this link which was posted earlier on OVAS of a pair of clowns someone has for 29 years. Is it beleivable? One would kike to think so.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=24811.0
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

gvv

Thank you all for the info!

From what I read through the links provided and google, 3-4 years is normal lifespan for this fish, even sometimes it can be longer.
It is interesting is it possible to understand how old is your fish when you get it?

As about clowns I found that they will live for 10 years for sure, but 29! This is really something!

Thanks gain!

Regards

Heidi

If you are looking for a new Mandarin...Big Al's in Kanata has a really nice BIG one in there tank, above the live rock tank, beside the South American tanks. He was soooo nice looking - if I didn't already have 1 I would have bought him myself. he was there as of 5 yesterday.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

gvv

Thanks Heidi,

I also know that Az has some. Not sure if I want big one...

Regards